We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Hi,

My partner and I have chosen to get married abroad due to a very tight budget and us both coming from large families (we also have a new baby on the way). I have my heart set on a Catholic church wedding in Malta 2015 followed by a 3 course sit down meal in the ballroom of the Palazzo Parisio for 50 guests in total.

One wedding planner has quoted me just over £8000 GBP which is based on only 30 guests and includes the brides car, corsages, photographer, music, flowers, church service, venue, fees etc but that's without the cost of our flights, accommodation and spending money for the week (we will be a family of four at the time of the wedding). I then also have to get my favours, bride, groom, bridesmaids and best men outfits.

I was hoping to have a complete wedding abroad for £10,000K maximum with some change left over in my purse! Am I being realistic or would it be cheaper for me to try and coordinate and source everything myself?

38 replies to this topic
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

If you type in your request in the box top right you will get lots of replies from people who have got married in Malta. You can send then a pm personal message by clicking on their name and ask them personally what they did.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

We got married at the Radisson hotel in st julians in 2009 and had 30 guests with us.

We dealt directly with the hotel and didn't need a planner at all. We hired the edge restaurant for sole use and they provided a jazz band and dj for later in the night. They organised the flowers and table dressing and layout. They were ultra professional.

We organised the registrar to come and do the service on the balcony overlooking the sea.

We did everything for less than 5k and that included our stay at the intercontinental hotel for 2 weeks in that.

We basically paid a fixed fee per head for the wedding meal etc which was 50 euro I think and then extra for the band and dj.

We hired a local chap for the photos who did a fab job and his fee was about 300 euro with about 60 prints and the disc as well. Just to put it into perspective regarding planners fees, this was quoted at a thousand euro for the photographer through the planner.

The registrar cost us 50 euro plus you pay for a taxi to pick him/her up from their home and take them back after. This was about 100 in total and the planners quote was 350.

They just add so much extra on top when you can organise most things yourself or through the hotel.

Hope this helps a little. My memory is a bit sketchy of the finer details but this is about there.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Sorry. Also meant to say try to contact the palazzio directly yourself for a price. I was just using the Radisson as our example.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Try the Westin direct - Quadro is super - been to beautiful small weddings there. Avoid wedding planners if on a budget.

Edited: 10:50 am, August 25, 2013
Birmingham
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Thank you so much for the info. I've sent an email direct to the Palazzo so fingers crossed! I had apprehensions about doing it all myself as on the actual wedding day I wanted to chill and enjoy the experience without running around like a headless chicken organising everything.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Thank you so much for the info. I've contacted the Palazzo direct so fingers crossed! I was a bit apprehensive about doing it all myself as on my wedding day I wanted to relax and soak up the moment rather than running around like a headless chicken but this may be my only option :0)

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Do bear in mind, the Palazzo Parisio is likely the most expensive venue on the island, or very nearly. :0)

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Hi bobthestag! I'm getting married in Malta July 2014 & would appreciate details of your photographer & dj.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

Hi,

Congratulations!!!

We are getting married in a few weeks in Malta.

There are 21 people in total.

We're getting married at Castello Zamittello and are having the ceremony and reception there.

We have used wedding planners over there and so far they have been fantastic.

I'm not sure who you have contacted so far - if you want to pm me for any further info please feel free.

The Palazzo Parisio is one of the most expensive venues there - out of interest have you looked at other places or have you got your heart absolutely set on there?

We had our hearts set on a venue - flew out in April to see it and pulled out eek.

Make sure you look around the venues - what can appear good on paper doesn't always feel right when you visit them in person (sorry you might have already done this).

x

10. Re: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, June 07, 2014

Reply to: Budget Wedding in Malta help desperately needed please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted