We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in August

South Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malta in August

We are planning a trip to Malta in August. This will be for business in pleasure since we are looking to move there by year end.

My question is, we heard that Malta is bascially closed in August. Is this true? What could we expect there at this time of year besides hot and mosqitoes.

Thanks

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta in August

Closed? Malta? It is Italy that shuts down in August. Malta just ticks over as Malta always does.

You say that you are planning to move there by year end now that's when Malta is quiet.

August is very busy in Malta as tourism is the main income of the island and having no real manufacturing/export industry to speak of(that's not to say there isn't anything!) Malta really makes the most of the tourist season.

South Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta in August

Thanks! I look forward to seeing Malta!

Malta
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta in August

ScubaPro is right.... malta is definetely not closed in August! Nonetheless, some people & companies tend to take a kind of shut-down / 2 week holiday around mid-august and this is why you have this impression. Nonetheless, these would be mainly manufacturing companies. Start planning your trip from now as August does get busy and good accomodation will be hard to find. Depending on which airport you are flying out from, seats can also be hard to find. have a look at ChooseMalta.com as i understand that the site also has a property & business section.. especially since you mentioned that you plan to move to malta.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta in August

Having visited Malta 3 times in the last 4 years, i think i can confirm that Malta will certainly NOT be closed in August...In fact, you're right in the middle of peak season- and if anything, I'd advise you to visit Malta in June or July if possible, to avoid the crowds of southern Italians that tend to visit in August....However, if you don't mind busy crowds, you won't mind August in Malta....If you intend going to the beaches, i suggest you set out quite early, they can be very busy after late morning....

Malta is renowned for its festas- religious feasts in honour of the patron saint of the many town parishes- and August is the number one month for this piece of local culture...I can recommend quite a few, but the bigger ones are probably in honour of the Virgin Mary.

Go to the one in Mosta ( in honour of the Assumption, Aug.15 ) for a great fireworks display, and magnificently decorated church..

South Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta in August

Thanks all! I think we are now looking at Sept. for our visit which may quickly be followed by moving. I can't wait to see all the festivals but I'm one of those travelers who would rather go off peak season so I can truly enjoy my surroundings.

In S. Florida the summer months are slower for tourist given the heat where as the winter is our peak toursist season. I was wondering about Malta which I thought would be about the same, guess I was wrong.

I can't wait to go and look foward espeically to the Malta bread which I have read is very good.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta in August

Biggest festa is Our Lady of Victory... go to the historic Regatta Races in Grand Harbour and a Procession in Mellieha or Naxxar or cross over to Gozo. .... if the weather holds.

Tourism wise, August is when the hotels, bars and beaches are busy and F U L L

7. Re: Malta in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta