We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helpful advice needed

north east
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
helpful advice needed

HI,

I am going to Bugibba for two weeks in the middle of August with my son who is 5 and a half years old. I've never been to Malta before so would appreciate any pointers regarding places to visit and anything to be avoided or wary of.

I was also wondering if anyone has any tips about booking a trip to Gozo - I'm looking for something reasonably priced but very reliable!

I read something in a hol brochure about taking a trip to Mount Etna - again does anyone know anything about this?

I'm goping to be taking a mixture of currency and travellers checks with me and would like to know where is the best places to change the cheques as have found in the past that the hotels don't offer the best of exchange rates!

Lastly (for now anyway!) does anyone have any tips about the best places to go shopping for souveniers and any good buys in general.

If anyone can give any help it would be much appreciated.

Suz

Mentioned in this post
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
Malta
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: helpful advice needed

Suz, Find below a reply to your qsts:

1. Bugibba and Malta as a whole is very safe and there is nothing in particular that you shoudl be wary of.

2. Regarding Gozo, I think that a good option is to get a bus to Cirkewwa and do it in your own.... you can just bus it to Victoria and visit Xlendi and Marsalforn.... Alternatively you can join a group tour and have an organised tour of the island. You can view rates and book online on ChooseMalta.com

3. There are day trips to mt. etna and these depart early by hovercraft and return that same evening. Check virtu ferries as they operate the hovercraft service and they sell the day trip excursions as well.

4. For travellers cheques I recommend any exchange bureau or banks such as HSBC or Bank Of Valletta. I woudl avoid exchanging them at shops or restaurants or hotels as the exchange rate is usually not as good as financial institutions mentioned above.

5. Bugibba, sliema, valletta and st. julians have a number of souvenier shops. besides the obvious souveniers I would recommend some foodstuffs such as locally produced olive oil, honey etc... most tourists also look into silver and other crafts such as hand made/ blown glass ceramics etc...

Mentioned in this post
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
Xlendi
Xlendi
Island of Gozo, Malta
Marsalforn
Marsalforn
Island of Gozo, Malta
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: helpful advice needed

You've got most of the details but a couple of things with the young one mainly to do with the sea and splashing about. The main thing is most of the coast line goes straight to very deep water so the beaches that are very nice are also very crowded so my advice is just to stay close to your son as it can be very easy to get lost in the crowd.

I don'tt think your son will be too pleased at an Etna trip that starts VERY early and has a Very late return that requires a ferry ride of between 1.5 and 3 hours depending where it's scheduled to land on a particular day (Virtu Ferries website for details) The ferry has nothing really to do on it and nowhere to even walk round with row after row of aircraft type seating it can be difficult to keep a young one occupied. Check out some some of the other threads on the TA for other views of Sicily trips.

All said though I'm sure your son will love Malta and I think there are a number of boat trips available plus the ferry to Gozo that will give him all the boat action he needs. The buses too will be fun.

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Malta
Malta
Europe
north east
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helpful advice needed

Hiya

thanks for the advice. I've checked out the websites you mentioned and found them really helpful. I'll def be doing the Gozo trip under my own steam as I prefer being in control of my own time rather than following a set tour.

Thanks again Suz

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: helpful advice needed

hire a car asnd you can get about malta and gozo very easy and take the car across gozo no problems better than booking organised trips get a book on malta and map you cant go wrong all the sign posts are in english

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: helpful advice needed

For souvenirs I'd take a wander around Ta Qali Craft village for glass/ceramics/silver jewellery, otherwise try Marsaxlokk market on a Sunday morning for honey/capers and other foodstuffs that work as gifts.

Mentioned in this post
Marsaxlokk
Marsaxlokk
Island of Malta, Malta
6. Re: helpful advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta