We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hie in malta

scotland
Level Contributor
76 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
car hie in malta

hi this will be our first trip to malta in july,can anyone tell me how much car hire is,do you really need it or is the bub service adequite to get yoy everywhere

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hie in malta

The bus will get you most places and the bus terminus is quite close to your hotel.

For car hire there is KWL which is located next door to the Qawra Palace Hotel which is along Qawra sea front just along from Luzzu restaurant. The guy there is Laurence Tanti. +358 21577206 or his mobile is +358 79421630. He sells tours too.

There are also a number of car hire places in Qawra square. The only car hire place I don't recommend is the one that is next door to the pharmacy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,828 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hie in malta

Depends how long you are going for and what you want to do. If you intend spending a lot of time sunbathing, a car is a biot of an expensive luxury to leave unused for long periods. If you want to be out an about most days, as we do, whilst more expensive than the bus, a car is more convenient and comfortable, particularly in the heat of July. As Scubapro sways, there are plenty of car hire places around in Qawra so you can decide when you arrive but make sure hirer shows you proof of insurance. There are still some rogues about. If you want to book in advance, recently I found Merlin Car Hire to be the cheapest I could find on-line. Contact details are

Tel +356 21223131 or +356 21222270

Fax +356 21221321

e-mail: pbonnici@merlin.com.mt

Cars are recent models with Air Con.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hie in malta

Merlin quoted me 12Lm per day for an air con Fiesta. This was for August.

I didn't go for it because I've actually got a better deal from Hertz!! I have 5 days free hire using some loyalty points and to continue for the next 3 weeks I'm only paying 11Lm per day for an air con Corsa. It's part of a deal set up with American Express.

I have used Avis before (last October) and only paid £89 sterling for 5 days. Both Hertz & Avis are good if you are doing airport/airport hires

My advice is to shop around and not to get tied into a long hire (more than a week) unless you trust the company.

Most of the hire companies will collect the car from near the hotel when you are done. You just leave the keys at reception.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hie in malta

Forgot to mention. If you hire a car make sure you don't park within 5mtrs of a corner particularly in Qawra (your hotel and the Il Palazzin are worst affected) the parking wardens are out VERY early and you will get a ticket. There are no signs to tell you not to do it. The only way you find out is either others telling you or once you've got a ticket. If you don't pay the fine at the bank (I think it's 10Lm) it WILL be taken from your credit card that you used as a deposit.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta