We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out - Malta

MaeHongSon
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out - Malta

Am thinking about a holiday to Malta, St Juliens/Sliema/St Pauls area. Not sure whether to go Bed n Breakfast, of Half board. I know its a broad question, but what are prices like eating out ? Are there many local Maltese eats in these tourist areas? How would prices compare to say restaurant prices in UK?

Also any 'must try' foods in Malta? Thank you,

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out - Malta

I would go for B&B as there are lots of places to eat out and not be tied to your hotel for the day or evening meal .

Depending on the food you are after , prices may vary .

A 15 inch pizza for 8 to 10 Euro , a McD burger for 6 euro , 4 local cheesecakes for 1 Euro , beer for 2 Euro , soft drinks for 1.5 euro in bars . Three course a la carte meals with wine may start at 30 to 100 Euro , if you go 5 star !

Comparing with the UK is difficult due to the £ and Euro conversions , but I have eaten cheap in both places and have been ripped off likewise in both places ...that is life !

Welcome to Malta

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out - Malta

I would recommend you come H/B there is nothing here, anywhere to compare or compete with Thai prices, so if you eat out its not going to be cheap, for you. I have noted that you have worked in London, so you must know china town in Soho where a top quality buffet lunch/ diner eat as much as you like (plenty of meat fish) for £6 50 pence, no way you would get that here, drinks are cheap. So if you came half board you would at least have one decent meal a day, instead of living off snacks. KNOWKATS.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out - Malta

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190311-c22246/Malta:…

The above is an interesting article . You will see small take aways called "Pastizzerija". They sell cheese cakes which are small pastry patties filled with rikotta or mushy peas. Both are delicious. They also sell pizza and timpana.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out - Malta

The majority of restaurants offer an "international" style menu of pizza, pasta, burgers, salads, grills together with some Maltese specialities. In general I find prices slightly cheaper than in the UK. There are some top class restaurants for a special night out and some cheap and cheerful ones if you are on a limited budget.

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out - Malta

Hi

Oriental food is riddikerously expensive in Malta, about x3 what you'd pay in London for an "eat all you like".

However seek out a Maxims Pastizzeria and gorge yourself on the chicken & mushroom curry pie, only €1 and fantastic, as are all Maltese pastries and savoury pies. Pizza slices at 80c, or with funghi €1. Their ham & cheese pie is killer bee too @ €1.2

You can eat very cheap from these establishments.

Ntd

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out - Malta

Notthedrapste, I quite agree here, though would kill more than a Bee, with all that salt and fat content. KNOWKATS.

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out - Malta

Hi Knowkats

But washed down with salt and fat free beer!

Actually when over in mid July my body was losing salt so rapidly because of the heat, that any source of xs salt was good news. My cure for heat exhaustion was whisky with lots of melting ice (rather than dehydrating beer) with lots of salted peanuts on the side & lots of water of course.

Ntd

8. Re: Eating out - Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta