We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying in Gozo

UK
6 posts
Save Topic
Buying in Gozo

Hi once again, just a little advice on buying in Gozo or Malta mainland, if anyone knows and how things work there, ie paying large deposits to the notary (over the norm 10%) Has anyone from the UK bought anywhere in Gozo...If so can you get intouch and share your experiences about how things work over there...seems alot goes on trust.

Cheers

Gozo
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying in Gozo

Hi

I bought in Gozo 3 1/2 years ago. 10% is the normal deposit - the system here is like the Scottish system - once price agreed, contract signed and deposit paid then completion binding on both sides (subject to any conditions placed in the contract). Alot of things in Gozo rely on trust, but not buying a property - its a very good system, much better than in England.

My purchase went very smoothly - let me know any more specific question you have

Mark

Gozo
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying in Gozo

just read your other posting - I also bought in Sannat !

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying in Gozo

Hi Mark, Thanks for getting back to me, My parents have just transfered the money over to Gozo, it was alot more than 10% though. Things seem to get done under the table!!!(for them)

Whats it like living out there then? You bumped into Billy Connelly yet?

Myself and my Mum are planning to go out there beginning of April....to finalise things and to get a bit of sun!!

Gozo
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying in Gozo

Hi again

maybe they paid the notary and property purchase tax at the same time ??

Billy was around alot in 2003 and 2004, but not seen much of him recently - he's a very nice guy, as long as you treat him as a "normal" person - great to talk to in the bar (Rosina's bar - do you know it ?). Life out here is great - sure your parents will love it

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying in Gozo

Hi,

We are planning to buy in Gozo-but don't know where or how to start!

I'd appreciate any help or tips you can give me.

We're are going in August this year to look seriously.

My email is :neat_tvc15@hotmail.com

Thanks,

gemxx

Gozo
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying in Gozo

Hi Gemxx

main questions are

1. what budget

2. what type - apartment, town house, farm house (do you want a pool ?)

3. location - which town/village - do you want a busy or a quiet area ?

good starting point is the following estate agent http://www.franksalt.com.mt/ - then the "property search" tab on the LHS

just let me know of any other questions you have

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying in Gozo

hi i bought 18 years ago so im not sure if the laws have changed slightly since eu membership but very straightforward the money had to be trnasferred from a uk bank to the notarys and a permit applied from the bank of valletta notary will do this .

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying in Gozo

hi i bought 18 years ago so im not sure if the laws have changed slightly since eu membership but very straightforward the money had to be trnasferred from a uk bank to the notarys and a permit applied from the bank of valletta notary will do this .

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying in Gozo

billy connolly is usually insannat feast but likes to keep himself to himself and the freinds with him he will acknowledge you but dont go into comversation he has an office in victoria and a house in sannat. his wife is a misery she dont even smile.

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying in Gozo

go on the gozo.com site there is a lot of property for sale but you really need to come to gozo to get the feel of the place and the different villages. im sure u will love it

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta