We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Boston Lincolnshire
5 posts
Save Topic
St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

My Mum, who is in her 70's, has just booked a holiday at the Cavalieri Hotel which is now exclusively for Saga holidays. However, Mum has just read an item in the Radio Times "St Julians is a top nightlife spot that parties all night. There are tons of clubs and bars to choose from, all of which are within crawling distance of one another".

Not surprisingly, she is on the point of cancelling. This would be a shame, because it has taken her a lot to pluck up the courage to book her first holiday travelling alone.

Can anyone please advise/reassure her.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Dear Hinny, and Mum,

Getting to the Cavalieri from the Nightlife area is almost a mile of crawling. Near (well 500 yards away ) the Cavalieri you can find "semi posh" eateries with Greek, Oriental, Maltese , Italian and Fish speciality restaurants.... cross the road for pizza hut.

A buffer between Cavalieri and Youth Culture is the Hilton 5*. The Cavalieri is in a Cul de Sac which effectively turns the area into a quiet spot with no through traffic as all Malta knows it is useless looking for a parking slot in that street.

Your hotel overlooks the residential / restaurant part of St. Julian's. Clubs are on the other side in a zone called Paceville.

Boston Lincolnshire
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Eleno,

Thank you so much, this information is just what we needed to know. Mum is much happier now and looking forward to her holiday again.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Hi Hinny and Mum

Probably by now you have had your holiday, just in case you havent, fear not! We are in our 60's and returned yesterday from St Julians. I looked up on the website for reviews of Hotel Cavalieri as that is where we would choose to return. The hotel has an unrivalled position overlooking Spinola harbour, very quaint and typically Maltese. It is sandwiched between Sliema which is grotty in parts and St Julians which is more upmarket( we stayed in 5* SAS Radisson Bay Point, lovely but too isolated) The imposing skyscraper Hilton is very close to Spinola Bay which speaks for itself. Avoid Paceville at all costs particualrly on a weekend when Life starts at midnight!

Use the busses, they are cheap and frequent, Valetta is wonderful and pedestrianised but be prepared that Malta is ABC (all bloomin' churches!)

Hope you have a good holiday

Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Well hopefully they were able to stay at the Cavalieri!

When we were at the Fortina, we met a couple who had booked into the Cavalieri with Saga but when they arrived in Malta the Agent told them that they were having problems with it. They said that it was not able to handle the number of guests staying there and Saga gave them the choice of flying back to Scotland or going with the rest of their group to a hotel in Marsaxlokk.

The hotel in Marsaxlokk was so bad that they paid to move to the Fortina.

Boston Lincolnshire
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Colinetta,

No, Mum goes on the 3rd April. Thank you for your reassuring information, at least it was until I read Lindsay's post!

Lindsay,

I am horrified and appalled. This is exactly why we booked with Saga, on the basis that they would look after old folk. I don't know what to do now, apart from keep my fingers crossed. I think I just have to keep quiet and hope for the best!

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

If there are problems with Cavalieri, SAGA is bound to offer equivalent accomodation. There is no hotel in Marsaxlokk of the same category as Cavalieri - (in Marsascala there is).

However you should insist that you must stay in St. Julian's. Play their bluff and tell them to put the options in writing and to let them fly you back to Scotland. Mention the full refund, compensation for days lost and distress caused, ABTA and Consumer Rights associations......

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

plenty of other nice hotels in the area and close by i stayed at the hotel a long time ago but it has been refurbished since then stick your grounds and demand a hotel of better quality if anything goes wrong

Boston Lincolnshire
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Collected Mum from the airport yesterday. She was absolutely over the moon with the Cavalieri Hotel, which she said was splendid. The staff were first class and couldn't do enough for her, the food was excellent. Her room had a fridge, hairdryer, tea/coffee making equipment and a balcony overlooking the busy marina and out to sea. The chambermaids were lovely. Every floor had a chilled juice machine and ice, and there was tea and coffee available all day in the lounges as well as three free bars. There is a games room with chess, cards, billiards, etc. and a lecture theatre. There is also of course a gym, indoor and outdoor pools, etc. etc., All the facilities, furniture, leather sofas, etc. are brand new and spotlessly clean, with an army of cleaners around all day.

Colinetta, Mum definitely recommends it. She says it was better than the Hilton, and has an unequalled position in a quiet location. As a Saga hotel, the facilities and service were first class as you would expect, but she did find some of the guests a bit doddery and depressing! This I thought was a bit rich from someone who is 78 herself. The dining room is buffet style, but with white linen on the tables and plenty of waiters hovering for drinks and any other help required. The food was excellent, plenty of choice. The inclusive trips around the island were good too.

She had one or two minor gripes; The courtesy bus into Sliema (or was it Valletta or both?) leaves after lunch and returns about 4.30. Most of the shops were closed at this time and she found the local buses were much more convenient. Also the beds are a bit on the hard side of firm and already developing troughs and a centre hump - hers was a double. Emails are free, but the Saga rep was a bit impatient when she asked him to show her how to access her mail and she asked me not to send any more. I suspect this was just a case of taking the easy option and not speaking up for herself.

Lindsay, I was really worried after your report, wondering what the problems were and would she find a half finished hotel, overbooked or what. The only indication of what might have been a problem is that during her first week, all guests were asked to use an alcohol gel to clean their hands when entering the dining room, and the buffet was served by hotel staff. During the second week, this was relaxed a little and guests were allowed to help themselves. One might put two and two together here, but on the other hand, one might be completely wrong. Mum couldn't fault the cleanliness and certainly had no sign of even a "holiday tummy".

We are hoping that Saga will offer more exclusive hotels in the future.

I hope this is helpful to everyone.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Julians - Cavalieri Hotel

Hinny I am so pleased that Mum had a good holiday and that things turned out so well.

Regarding the alcohol gel, I think that is company policy because when Mum and I went on the Saga Rose cruise to Norwegian fjords last Sep we had to use this every time we used the dining room, even for afternoon tea and there was a crew member checking it was used. We are off to Jersey end of May with Saga to Golden Sands Hotel so will write a report on that.