We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Malta from Italy

melbourne
4 posts
Save Topic
To Malta from Italy

We're looking at catching a ferry from Greece to Italy.

From there we want to go down south to Sicily, and then to Malta.

We're first timers, and not sure what to do.

How long this sort of trip would take?

What the best route to take is?

Is there anyone who has done a similar trip and has any advice?

Thanks!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Malta from Italy

I do think it depends what you want to see en-route as I'm sure you don't just want to get into a car and drive continuously. It is possible to drive North to South in a day but I would say that Venice, Rome, Florence & Naples are essential stops (and that is off the top of my head) but it does leave a natural route down. If you are going to whistle stop those sights then you should allow a few days (maybe 1 for each?) making your way to Reggio De Calabria for the Short ferry ride to Messina. If you could arrive in Messina fairly early in the morning it would give you pretty well a complete day to explore Sicily (though Mt Etna may be a bit far) on a lovely coastal drive round to Catania for the Malta ferry that usually leaves at approx 7pm (Virtu Ferries) this will get you into Malta between 11 & midnight.

A couple of tips.

DO NOT DRIVE IN ITALY on 1st August EVER!!

Try working out your route in reverse i.e Make sure you have accomodation booked for your first night in Malta .... I probably wouldn't order a hire car for arrival as I'm sure they would be only too willing to charge you a day for your arrival date which, at best is only 1 hour. Arrange a local Taxi (pre-book)

Make sure your Virtue Ferry is booked before turning up at Catania. You should ditch your Italian rental car here as the costs involved taking it to Malta (both hiring and the car ticket) would make it prohibitive.

Allow good time to find your way through the docks to check in at Catania .. it wasn't very well signposted the last time I did it and was thankful for satnav

The ferry from Reggio to Messina is a turn up and go service so pre-booking isn't essential nor is it expensive as well as being quite frequent.

NEVER EVER leave anything in a car overnight ESPECIALLY in Italy

You may not want to drive in Rome .. most tourists don't

You cannot drive to anywhere other than the Tronchetto parking at Venice

Hotels in Italy I found were good quality and very reasonably priced

It may sound as if it's a little involved but it really isn't. It just depends what you want to do on the way and of course where you are sailing into from Greece.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Malta from Italy

It sounds like a good idea , but you are being very limited in exact details like , departing port , arriving port , reason for ferry , car hire or private car ?, cities you would like to visit ? , time allowed for the trip ? and also time of year ? .

A good GPS will get you from A to B to C and then to Malta , after you catch a couple of more ferries at Messina and Pozzallo .

Have you considered coming to Malta first and then moving North up Italy via Sicily ?

melbourne
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Malta from Italy

Thanks heaps both of you for your advice, we're actually backpacking and will probably be doing it all by train.

We have just under a month do to Greece and Italy starting end of July. We are thinking of getting a ferry from Greece to Bari then train to Naples, then down towards Sicily to go to Malta then back up to Rome and Florence after a month we're off to Spain.

Do you think two weeks is enough time to see Italy by train? What are the essentials to see?

Thanks

4. Re: To Malta from Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, October 24, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta