We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New traveler to Malta

Vancouver
2 posts
Save Topic
New traveler to Malta

I am planning to take a 9-day trip to Malta in early September with my friend. I am wondering what would be the most appropriate plan if we want to visit the historical sites, natural beauties as well as swimming and relaxing on its sandy beaches. Where would be the best location for stay in order to be near the beach and also enjoy the nightlife? We would like to have a taste of everything in that lovely island!! Would appreciate if any good hotels with reasonable prices be mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New traveler to Malta

If you browse this site and read some preious advice about this subject , you can get a lot of ideas.

Try and visit www.visitmalta.com and other sites suggested by hat776 in oher posts.

Historical sites litter all the island , so you must state which ones you want to see. Download a map with site locations and plan ahead.

The best sandy beaches are in the North of the island and most nightlife is more on the otherside, but Malta is a small island and nowhere is far.

I would not miss the Hypogeum at Tarxien ,but you need to book beforhand.

I will check and post again later.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Tarxien
Tarxien
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New traveler to Malta

As I said , most answerscan be be found by typing in the required subject,Hypogeum , in the Search box in this forum .

BOOK EARLY as tours are sometimes full months in advance.

Hat 776 gave the answer in a previous post

Hal Saflieni Hypogeum

I found this on the heritage malta site

From Monday to Sunday seven tours will be conducted, starting on the hour from 9.00 till 16.00 (last tour). There is no tour at 12.00.

To plan your sightseeing, we advise that you book ahead as tours are often full up to weeks in advance. For your convenience, you can use our new online booking (read below). Tickets for the Hypogeum are also available in person from the Hypogeum visitor centre in Paola and from the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta.

For booking availability, please log into http://www.heritagemalta.org/maltashop.html and make a reservation request online. Our staff will be contacting you with further details. For more information and any problems with booking please mail to hypogeum@gov.mt

Tickets can be purchased from the following Museums and Sites: ____________________________ _______Malta: Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, Paola and National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta ______ _______Gozo: Ggantija Temples, Xaghra and Museum of Archaeology, Citadel

Mentioned in this post
Paola
Paola
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
Xaghra
Xaghra
Island of Gozo, Malta
London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New traveler to Malta

I'd recommend the North of the island, maybe Mellieha is the best place for you. Nowhere is far in Malta, therefore you can also enjoy the nightlife. But don't miss up spending part of your holiday in Gozo.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New traveler to Malta

Put key words eg `where to stay` `sandy beaches` `night life` `location` in the search box on top.

If you are are referring to September of this year, you won`t have much choice as many hotels will be full.

Basically, if you choose to stay near the sandy beaches you`ll be far (by Maltese standards) from night life and historical sights. Transport is not that frequent.

If you stay near the nightlife (Sliema/St Julians) then you`d have to get a direct bus for the sandy beaches. Sliema has a very frequent bus service and direct buses go to most places of interest.

Personally, once you don`t have young children I would prefer the rocky limstone beaches of Sliema/St Julians any way. There are various pools along the promenade that offer sun beds, usual amenities and easy access to the sea. Also along the beach there are ladders into the sea.

anyway check out these sites to give you a better insight - Good luck

check out

www.visitmalta.com (click on views and downloads for videos)

www.heartofmalta.com (click on malta guide with videos – accommodation also has videos)

www.supercities.eu ( lots of videos – put the name you want in the box top left)

www.searchmalta.com ( photos and info)

www.heritagemalta.org (details of museums and heritage sites)

www.mymalta.com (a different kind of site)

www.starwebmalta.com (lists restaurants, bars etc according to locality)

www.holidays-malta.com (good varied info)

Just cut and paste into your browser and enjoy your Malta holiday before you get here.

For more info try

www.maltairport.com and www.airmalta.com.

www.di-ve.com general local info portal

atp.com.mt regular and direct bus schedules

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
5. Re: New traveler to Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta