We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

London, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

We're off to Malta for 4 days at the end of October. Staying at the Juliani in St Julians. We will want to go round the island, to Gozo for a day etc. Reading the guide books it sounds like a car could be a liability - too much traffic etc. Is renting a scooter a good idea? And if 'yes' could you suggest somnewhere?

lancs u.k
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

Hi,

not too sure about hiring scooters in Malta, but i know for definate that i wouldn't be brave enough!!! Just get on the bus! Its so, so, easy in Malta travelling by bus and where you're staying the bus stop is right outside. They are very regular so you wouldn't be waiting long for one, and really good value for money.

Car hire might be an option for the day trip to Gozo but other than that its a nightmare parking anywhere in Malta ( in my opinion!)

Enjoy you Holiday.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

If one thinks that hiring a car is a liability then hiring a scooter is taking your life in your hands. Not for me! I've seen that it's better to have some kind of protection.

On a scooter you are pretty well compelled to be zig-zagging on the roads in an effort to miss potholes and obstructions, you would not have sufficient power to maintain the flow of traffic and thereby incurring the wrath of the Maltese driver(s), to stay in the middle of the road.

If you feel really confident go for it but remember you are going out of the main season and with often variable weather. Go by bus or get a hire car.

leicester
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

just seen your message - No! No! No! please tell me you didn't hire a scooter - being in a car with airbags and side impact bars is only just on the right side of safe. My boyfriend is Maltese, when we go back to Malta he scares the life out if me every time. ps he is better in the uk, british drivers are not as tolerant!.

leicester
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

just seen your message - No! No! No! please tell me you didn't hire a scooter - being in a car with airbags and side impact bars is only just on the right side of safe. My boyfriend is Maltese, when we go back to Malta he scares the life out if me every time. ps he is better in the uk, british drivers are not as tolerant!.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

Ok, so renting a scooter on Malta is a no-no. But what about a scooter on Gozo? Seems like less traffic over there so it might be relatively safer..... what do you guys think?

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

you cant rent a scooter on gozo noone will give insurance.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

I was considering hiring one but i think i'll give it a miss after reading these posts!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

i actually think i´ll give it a go, it´s cheaper than a car and being american i´m wary of driving on the "wrong side" of the road. if i survived greece and malaysia on scooter, my not malta? haha

9. Re: Is renting a scooter a good idea on Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta