We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marsascala

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
marsascala

I can`t get any accomodation in Marsasxlokk so Marsascala is the

next option.

I was there 22 years ago. What is it like now, any sort of bars , cafes, eateries.

I don`t want loud bars etc, but do want a bit of evening life.

Any opinions.?

malta
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marsascala

Hi The last hotel in Marsascala closed down this week. Youre only option is for renting a holiday flat or a few Band B. Its very quiet but livens up as a locals summer haunt in the evenings when its packed out.

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marsascala

I thought the Jerma Palace was well established , it is in a lot of brochures.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marsascala

As casinmalta told you, unfortunately Jerma just closed its doors www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php… Maybe you can find some guest house or short let flat. There aren't much hotel options in the south except the Cerviola or Etvan. Never been there so I can't comment.

As a place Marsascala is livelier than Marsaxlokk at night but Marsaxlokk has more charm. In Marsascala there are restaurants, bars, cafes all round the shore from the pitch to the other side where the villas start. There are also some good restaurants in St Thomas Bay. On the cheap side I recommend il-Pitch,Grabiel, Mamas, and a new pasta place (forgot the name). Even il-Fanal and Waterline are quite good. On the higher end there are the Oriental Garden and La Favorita. Bars - Summer Nights, Lemon n Lime and L-Awwista. Clubs not much and frequented by teenagers (I do not know your age). These places are what I tried but I am sure there are a lot more good hangouts in M'Scala

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: marsascala

i use to stay at etvan a lovely 3 star hotel in marsascala and thomson gave the hotel a 3 star bronze award but unfortunately it has closed down why i dont know.

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marsascala

I`ve booked Aug 30 - Sept 9 in a rental apt.

Will there still be tourists around that time,

Are there any pools to use or will it be the sea. If so where is the best swimming place.

What about shops and money exchange, also travel excursion offices. There will be no `reps` around, thank goodnes, so where can I organise days out or boat trips.

Trip to Sicily seems quite good, any info on this.

In fact ANY INFO on anything will come in handy.

Thanks

lancs u.k
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marsascala

Hi, just a suggestion-but anyone looking for acommodation in Marsaxlokk- try the "Duncan Guest House". Haven't stayed there myself but it looks pretty nice on the websites and has some good reviews.

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: marsascala

Still hoping for some good info on Marsascala if anyone can help.

I don`t need somwhere to stay, already sorted.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marsascala

Hello here are some info which you might find handy.

Tourists - There'll still be tourists in malta at that time of the year. Not much in Marsascala I'm afraid but in the evenings it will be full of locals.

Pools in M'Scala - there is the old National Pool in Zonqor Point. Used to open for public but nowadays I am not sure. But the sea is quite good In Marsascala there are some nice areas like Zonqor Point, behind the Jerma, St.Thomas Bay and Behind the Beach Comber Club (on the way between the Jerma and St. Thomas Bay). If you feel like more walking you can walk through the countryside after reaching St.Thomas Bay and you'll be in the Delimara area in about 30-45 mins. There are some swimming areas there. Xrobb l-ghagin, Peter's Pool and Delimara itself. You can only reach these by car or on foot since there is no public transport. Almost all of the above are rocky beaches except maybe St. Thomas Bay.

If you really want pools, most of the hotels can let you use their pool/Lido for a fee.

Other beaches (sandy) in the south include Birzebbuga (Bus 11, 13 from Valletta) and to some extent Marsaxlokk (Bus 27). For these two places you can save some time by stopping at Paola (when the bus turns into the big "oval" square with trees just ring the bell and descend there). Then walk up to the bus stop in front of the big church and wait for the bus there. Going back the best option is to stop at Valletta because the bus stop to Marsascala in Paola is a bit out of the way and complicated to explain. If you want to save some time stop at Marsa (ring the bell after you pass the Super 1 complex on your left - there is a big antenna). Then descend cross the pedestrian bridge to the other side and wait for the bus number 19 there. Just remember if you do not recognize the stop and you miss it do not worry. You can always catch the bus from Valletta because almost all buses end there.

In the North my favourite beach is Paradise Bay Bus 45 from Valletta and a bit of a walk. Gnejna, Ghajn Tuffieha (be careful of currents here), Armier and Ghadira are also very nice. These are sandy beaches. Check the ATP site http://www.atp.com.mt/ for the bus numbers. Other places to swim include Sliema, Ghar Lapsi, Wied iz-Zurrieq (you can also take a boat to the Blue Grotto there), Bugibba and Qawra. They have created an artificial sandy beach in Paceville too.

If you want to go to Sicily check out Virtu Ferries (http://www.virtuferries.com/index.aspx)

Other day trips include Comino (bus 45 and stop at Marfa), Gozo (though I suggest 2-3 days), Round Malta or Harbour Cruise - bookings from sliema. If I am not mistaken in M'Scala they do some cruises too. It departs on the quay on the road between the terminus and the church.

Also make sure to visit Marsaxlokk market on Sunday (bus 27), Valletta, Mdina (80), Rabat (80, 81), Hypogeum (stop at Paola as explained above and ask for directions), Hagar Qim/Mnajdra and Blue Grotto (38), the 3 cities (1,2,3,4), Sliema (bus 62, 67).

For other ideas read this post - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190320-i895-k1129…

Enjoy

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: marsascala

Thanks for all that info - very useful. I was in Marsascala 25 years ago, with a girfriend, I`m also female. It was very quiet but luckily for us we were ` adopted ` by a local family and really treated. It was the week of the St Anne`s festa, we went on the school childrens bus trip to some lovely beaches, and had the best view of the greasy pole competition in the harbour.

We were taken out on a boat nearly every other day, Blue Grotto, Gozo, and lots of other places, nothing was too much trouble for this lovely family.

I remember they had something to do with the Labour Club in the village, 25 years is a LONG TIME ago, it would be nice to recognise a face or two. George and Eileen/ Irene, he was Maltese she was Irish with a daughter Teresa, they had only just retiuned to Malta from London after about 20 years.

I returned to Malta 10 years ago with my husband, we stayed in St Pauls. We went on the bus to Marsascala , but somehow got on the wrong bus back and ended up by the docks somewhere.

While waiting for another bus a guy in a mini stopped and said ` Hello , are you going to Buggiba` It turned out he was in a band that played every night in a bar in Buggiba, he had recognised us and realised we were probably lost. He took us back there. The band was Misty, guys were Silvio, Tony, and two others.

I am pleased to hear Marsascala is not full of tourists, but has a bit more night life. I`m looking forward to it now. Again thans for all your information. much appreciated.

Oh I almost forget, Kinnie, vodka and ice , the stuff dreams are made of !!!! Hic.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: marsascala

"I returned to Malta 10 years ago with my husband, we stayed in St Pauls. We went on the bus to Marsascala , but somehow got on the wrong bus back and ended up by the docks somewhere."

Probably you took bus no 22. My wife also did that mistake once. Thebuses that take you from M'Scala to Valletta are 17, 19 and 20. The 22 is perfect if you want to visit the 3 cities.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta
Recent Conversations