We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gozo car rental

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
418 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Gozo car rental

We will be renting a car in Gozo for a few days at the end of June and know we will need AC and a closed roof, but I am wondering if we will need 4 wheel drive. Any other suggestions for qualities in a rental car, to be picked up and returned at the port. Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gozo car rental

Humanone, AC and closed roof are not a must at the end of June, in my opinion. A 4 x 4 will make it easier to explore the island, since you will be able to go through some 'bumpy' roads in the countryside, which you will not be able to go through by car. But its difficult to find a 4x4 with hard top and a/c, not only in Gozo but also in Malta. Most of the 4x 4 hired are the type of Maruti/Suzuki jeeps, and all of them are soft top, which will be totally removed in Summer. Think all garages in Gozo will get you the car at the port, but you have to pay something extra for this service. I visit Gozo regularly but never dealt directly with a garage. The owners of the farmhouses where i stay, deal with everything, and i find the car waiting for me at the farmhouse! I always deal with gozobreak.com and can assure you that they offer excellent service.

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gozo car rental

there are lots of car rentals in gozo who use 4x4 they are maruti jeeps in my opinion not too safe as they are very high off the ground for the passengers in the back . however lots of people do rent these. this is a list of companies. AEL. , MAYJO, MARIOS., FRANKS GHAJNSIELEMA ,L&R CAR HIRE ,BELMONT GARAGE NADUR, go on their sites and have a look. june can be qyuite hot but with the marutis the backs are taken off GIVE THESE PEOPLE A RING AND ARRANGE FOR THEM TO PICK YOU UP AT MGARR

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gozo car rental

to add to Annette's list:

J&M Car Rentals, Eagle Garage, St Joseph Car Rentals.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gozo car rental

What most people don't know is that Suzuki/Maruti half shafts blow when people shift from 4 to 2-wheel drive while on the move. So the garage owners either disengage the 4x4 option or let them break and never repair them.

It looks like a boy-scout 4x4, but is really ONLY TWO-WHEEL DRIVE ! - so don't go offroad and expect real 4x4 capability. Also remember that if you are ever tempted to go off-road in any vehicle in Malta, the ROAD insurance does not cover you, Repeat NO insurance cover. And as Annette said they are u n s a f e.

My specs:- would be for the smallest AC on wheels that could comfortably hold you all. A locking boot will keep items in the car away from prying eyes and potential temptation. Gozo IS EXTREMELY SAFE but I would never lead others into temptation ...

5. Re: Gozo car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta