We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xewkija any information please

Which Xewkija hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Xewkija any information please

Hi my family are going to xewkija end of July for two weeks and would love to hear about this village. We have been to Malta and Gozo many times and really adore the country. Can anyone give us some info please?

4 replies to this topic
Xewkija, Malta
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xewkija any information please

I live in Xewkija and have done for the last 2 years, it is basically a farming village with horses trotting around the streets, goats and sheep. It does come with farm type smells in some parts. It is the second oldest village in Gozo and has many very old houses. The Rotunda (church) is beautiful and has the second largest unsupported dome, Mosta in Malta being the largest.The people are amazing and so friendly, not a day goes by without seeing a car with window open mobile on dashboard, purse, wallet or handbag on the seat and keys in the lock. You will be woken by the sound of Donkeys, chickens, church bells at 5ish some might find this a drawback but the day starts early here. Most of the shops in Victoria close for siesta at 12 till 4 but the local shop in the sqaure is open all day and Sunday morning. The streets are very narrow so no speeding please and drive carefully as you never know what is coming the other way, horse goats, sheep. The local lager is Cisk - pronounced CHISK- and very nice, local wines are approx 2 euros per bottle try the Dolcino. You will find the pavements very high in some places, I have had to jump down from some, I think this could be why the locals walk in the road. It is very hot but with lovely places to swim, Mgarr ix Xini, Ramla, Xlendi, Marsalforn. Nowhere is far, the island is only 14 miles long. Excellent bus service, extremely regular and you can get anywhere from Victoria bus station. Hope this helps, as you can see I love it here...

Edited: 12:19 pm, July 29, 2013
Mosta, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xewkija any information please

The village also has its own small supermarket and also a pharmacy so that you dont necessarily need to go to Rabat ( the capital) however the main road passing through the length of Gozo is close so if you need to catch a bus or drive there you wont take long. (5mins)

Please note, sadly unlike other countries, the maltese islands do not have the best public transport. they are well known for their tardiness.

If you are renting a car, treat every other driver like a crazy person. many maltese got their licences too easily before harsher testing came in and do not indicate, speed and do not know what braking distances are. Though Gozo has a smaller population and hence less cars so the roads are much quieter.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xewkija any information please

Your driving advice sounds good for anywhere there are cars and drivers, but I will bear it in mind when I go in Sept (2016). I'm really looking forward to my first visit to Gozo, or even Malta for that matter!

Edited: 2:56 pm, June 03, 2016
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xewkija any information please

Very much a locals village with a laid back feel. Not the best for restaurants and quiet in the evenings. Best if you are staying here to hire a car and get off to other areas in the evening.

Enjoy the trip.

Reply to: Xewkija any information please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xewkija
Recent Conversations