We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Thank You!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and Thank You!

It’s taken me longer than anticipated but finally I have gotten around to writing my trip report for our stay on Gozo for our four days in August.

We arrived following a three hour bus journey and a thirty minute ferry ride to the port area, we took one of the waiting taxis to St Patricks in Xlendi. Following check in and unpacking we ventured out onto the promenade looking for food, we had a wonderful lunch a few doors up from the hotel of calamari, chips, pizza and beers. At €17 it was a steal but the lady at the table commented that we were so “trusting” to just hand over money without seeing she bill, she was English so we forgave her, if she was from Dublin she would have done the same as us, left as quickly as possible fearing that the waiter had forgotten to charge us for something as it was so cheap! We had a fantastic swim in the bay before heading to the rooftop bar in our hotel for some pre dinner drinks.

The following day our scooter was dropped off at our hotel and we headed for the Ghantija Megalithic Temples and the Ta’Kola Windmill. There was a gentleman at the entrance to the Temples selling some local produce and I regret now that we did not purchase anything. Both were very interesting and I found the information cards at the windmill very informative about life in Malta and Gozo. That afternoon we went on a round island cruise with Xlendi Pleasure Cruises. A thoroughly enjoyable evening was had though I was surprised by how cold the water was, is this normally the case?

The next day our breath was taken away when visiting the Azure Window, Fungus Rock and the Inland Sea. There were people jumping off the Azure Window into the sea OMG!!! We took one of the little boats from the Inland Sea out through the caves to the sea beyond where we had a chance to see the Crocodile Rock and the Blue Grotto; this was one of the highlights of our visit. While I am not a religious person I was struck by the austerity of the small church to St Anne near the Azure window. Later that day we visited Ta’Pinu with all its artificial limbs and other relics! That evening we took a tour of the Tal Massar Winery in Gharb. It is such a special place, I won’t repeat what I have already said but my review is here: tripadvisor.ie/…REVIEWS definitely worth the trip!

The following day was the 15th of August, feast of the Assumption of Mary. We ventured into Victoria to watch the parades and then onto Ramla Bay for some swimming and sunbathing. I thought €15 was a bit costly for the rental of sun loungers and an umbrella but I have no experience of this in other countries so maybe this is standard? We could have used them all day but we only wanted them for an hour or two. On the way back to the hotel we had a bit of a panic looking for a petrol station but finally found one just before we ran out! I would advise anyone renting a vehicle not to do as we did and wait until the last moment to fill up. Some petrol stations are automated at weekends so make sure you have some €10 notes to put into the machine.

On the evening of the 15th we returned to Victoria for the procession. To say it is amazing is a complete understatement. It’s a memory that will stay with me forever. I would urge anyone who is able, to go to Victoria once in their lives and experience this. It’s so special.

It was with heavy hearts that we left Gozo the following morning; we opted for a hotel transfer to the airport rather than risking another three hour bus journey and perhaps a missed flight.

I would just like to thank everyone who helped me plan my holiday here on TA, your advice was invaluable. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

thanks for both of your reports, just a small suggestion maybe you should have titled them Part 1 & Part 2 cos at first before opening I thought you may have accidently posted twice. BUT I am happy that I opened both - what a wonderful report especially re Gozo. I have been to Gozo 3 times (day trips only) & each time couldnt do the Inland Sea trip due to weather etc. Glad you enjoyed Malta it has a lot to offer.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

Goof point Stella, I didn't consider that when I was posting, I forgot that they would both appear side by side!!! Ooops! :-)

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

I'm sure everyone enjoyed reading the trip report

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

Very enjoyable trip report Lolly. It brought back many memories of my trip a couple of years ago. My sister-in-law is just back from a three week holiday on Gozo, but I was unable to join her this time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

Thank you hat776 and bannergirl.

Three weeks on Gozo... now there's a plan!

6. Re: Trip Report and Thank You!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo