We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold car Malta

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Gold car Malta

Hi,so i read alot of bad reviews on goldcar around the world.We used them 5 years ago in tenerife and had no problems paid with debit card,no extra charges..just needed to buy full tank of petrol which we didnt mind as we used it all.

My question is anyone used goldcar in Malta?i know alot of bad comments might come..but i dont mind paying for additional insurance,full tank of petrol..as we will be there for 10 days..Any other hidden costs?as far as i understand if you take additional cover you dont need to leave deposit and ok to use debit card...We dont mind paying extra because afterall it still ends up much cheaper than any other company..as we will rent people carrier..any advice is appreciated!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
21. Re: Gold car Malta

Do not use Gold Car!!!

I didnt know I was even using them before going to Malta as booked through 121carhire, they didnt give the name of the car hire company on their form, I presumed 121carhire was the firm.

After arriving in Malta, there was no desk by the normal carhire firms for 121carhire, but they pointed me in the direction of gold car a bit further away, who said my booking was with them.

I had paid in advance for the cheapest offer a small dar for 8 days at £125, great deal I thought, including a tank full of petrol and insurance, where the excess was optional - Happy days!

But when at Gold Car, not only did they claim my £125 was non returnable, but they wanted extra cash for the excess insurance at either 12 euros a day or 1500 euros all in, I smelt a scam and argued it was optional they disagreed!

With the loss of the £125 already paid on my mind, I though, what the hell, and agreed to the 12 euros a day "deal".

But when they produced the pre-payment receipt they wanted me to sign they had added some 100 euros fuel bill... the whole thing came to just under 200 euros all in!

I told them I already had paid the fuel, they tried to make me feel a fool for suggesting they would have agreed to such a thing, my 121carhire voucher did not specify this either, but it was a feature on their website..

I told them to eff themselves!

And went to Thrifty Cars, with the main group of car hire firms and got the same small car, with a full tank of petrol and insurance for 200 euros...

Will be chasing 121carhires for my money back..

Either way did not give Gold Car additional scam money, and the price worked out same, without being lied to!

Avold 121carhire and Gold Car at all costs!!!

Not nice to open a good trip with a mega rip off, but these thing happen when u travel, and I always budget for the scams and unexpected costs, and fortunately was the only scam that I encountered whilst in Malta

Edited: 12:18 pm, July 28, 2014
22. Re: Gold car Malta

There is no charge to go to gozo. Insurance covers Malta and gozo. There is no such thing as Gozo Cover.

Leeds, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
23. Re: Gold car Malta

I just have and I would say do not bother. They charged us 142 euros for a tank of fuel which we had no choice but to pay after 10 days if drving about on the tiniest island we still had half a tank full which they refused to refund. They are making so much money by using this policy. Customers should have a choice on how much fuel you want to purchase!! Very arrogant staff as well.

Leeds, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
24. Re: Gold car Malta

I just have and I would say do not bother. They charged us 142 euros for a tank of fuel which we had no choice but to pay after 10 days if drving about on the tiniest island we still had half a tank full which they refused to refund. They are making so much money by using this policy. Customers should have a choice on how much fuel you want to purchase!! Very arrogant staff as well.

1 post
25. Re: Gold car Malta

Avoid Goldcar at all price!! In Malta as in other location, considering the tons of awful reviews you can read about them.

You are almost forced to take an extra insurance if you don't want them to take a €1800 deposit form your credit card!

Then you have other hidden fees like paying a full tank in advance (almost €100 for a diesel compact car). Malta is a very small island and after a week traveling with the car, I still had more than half the tank filled-in…

Worst of all is that they proposed me an old Jaguar S type for rent (when I asked for a Peugeot 3008) with no belt for the middle passenger in the back. We are traveling with 3 children so there was no question for me to have one of them not secured with a belt.

Of course, they had nothing else to propose and I had to accept a much smaller Peugeot 207 with the promise that they would come in the following hours to my hotel with another car from the category I paid for.

Of course nobody showed up and all the attempts I made to call them were unsuccessful; most of the time nobody is picking-up the phone and even someone shutting down the phone while I was speaking! Very rude and unfriendly customer service!

All in all, I have the feeling that I got completely screwed by this company, paying all the unforeseen extras and the price of a car from a category I didn't get.

I am waiting for a refund…with little hope though.

My advice, just stay away from this company!!

Thomas

Tupiza, Bolivia
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
26. Re: Gold car Malta

Avoid Goldcar at all costs:

When we arrived on Malta, we went to the Goldcar desk, and discovered that we were expected to pay an extra €53 for the privilege of taking the car to Gozo (the island off Malta where we were staying) for the week. There was absolutely nothing in any of the documentation sent to us by the agent we booked through about this charge. This fee was in itself over half the cost of the original booking.

We paid for a tank of fuel in advance, expecting a refund once the car was returned. Over a month since we returned the car, we have still not received this refund. The attitude of the entire company stinks - it's business model appears to be built around hidden costs and charges which cause the final booking to end up costing far more than the original price quote. In our case, we were quoted an original price of £71.93, with a young driver fee of €57.82 (roughly £45), giving a total of approximately £117. At the present, with no refund, our total expenditure on the car is £250, which is well over double the price. This is utterly unacceptable.

A quick flick through various review websites shows many, many unhappy Goldcar customers, who have had similar experiences to ourselves, including a twitter account dedicated specially to complaining about Goldcar, which seems to be receiving lots of posts every day (see:https://twitter.com/GoIdcar_Victims). We have attempted to contact Goldcar to resolve this, and their customer service department has been utterly inept and unhelpful. One agent, as soon as she realised that we had a tricky case, tried to get us to go away as quickly as possible.

Avoid them at all costs

Tunbridge
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
27. Re: Gold car Malta

Yes indeed avoid Goldcar. I too was confronted with the additional demand for "Gozo cover". I booked through Arguscarhire website - a car trawling outfit that guarantees the cheapest selection. They've consistently refused to organise refund of this extortion. Loss to me of€86! Both parties have behaved very shabbily. What is more, you do not know which recommended car rental firm argus has chosen for you until you book. AVOID BOTH.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
28. Re: Gold car Malta

Wished I had read a little more about them before hiring a car there. Got home yestereday after a weeks car hire and still waiting to see if they refund the fuel we left in the car. Very excessive prices (the double of the fuel price in France). At any rate, if they don't refund, I will lodge a complaint with the local Maltese police force.

So, let's wait and see what happens next .............................................

Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
29. Re: Gold car Malta

AVOID GOLDCAR. 1500 euro missing. Battery died, untaxed (we received fines), flat tyre, 1 day of holiday lost to driving around Gozo with a grumpy local mechanic. No apology.

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
30. Re: Gold car Malta

THIEFS! Things!! Again AVOID! 89€ online turned in to 300€ at the desk. Petrol overcharged double and even if the tank was returned in full I didn't get any refund.

Now ignoring any way of communication.

Scam!!! GOLD CAR MALTA SCAM AVOID