We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arts & Crafts

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Arts & Crafts

The talk about markets has prompted me to ask about arts and crafts on Malta. My friend is particularly interested traditional arts and crafts. Am I right that lace making and glass are amongst the things we should look out for?

Where would be the best places for this? Are there places other than big tourist outlets?

Can you see these being done?

If say, we purchased glass, does anyone know how easy it is to be shipped to Australia and whether this can be done with smaller quantities?

We purchased ceramics in Morocco last year and had them shipped from the point of purchase. They arrived home before we did and we have never seen anything packed as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arts & Crafts

Craft Village at Ta’ Qali

101malta.com/en/…ta-qali-crafts-village.htm

Is well worth a visit, it is located in an old RAF wartime airfield. One can see the glass blowing and the shops for Mdina glass, Valletta glass and Phoenician glass, they also make pottery, lace and filigree jewellery. Also nearby is the aviation museum.

Mentioned in this post
Mdina Glass
Mdina Glass
403 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta Glass
Valletta Glass
41 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arts & Crafts

Thanks for that mac1uk, I'll add that to our list :-)

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arts & Crafts

We purchased Gozo lace and other knitted products from a woman sitting outside her front door on Gozo. We were wandering through the back streets and my wife stopped to look the women brought us into her house made tea and sat down with my wife going through all sorts of items she had made and showing my wife how she did some as it is a hobby of hers. A visit to the Medina glass factory is well worth it as you get to see them making all kinds of glass ware and you can buy it in the shop and have them ship it out for you.

Mentioned in this post
The Medina Restaurant
The Medina Restaurant
779 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arts & Crafts

Thanks wrappido - now I know my friend would love the experience of meeting with the actual maker in her home!! If that happened, it would be great :-)

We plan to go to Mdina, so I guess it won't be hard to find the glass factory? If we find things we like, it would be much easier to have it shipped home to Australia.

Mentioned in this post
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arts & Crafts

Mdina and the TaQali are on the same bus route but not in the same place, a bit far for me to walk between the two.. So you either get off first to go to TaQali and then get the bus to Mdina or vice versa. But to do justice to both on same day you need to allow a full day. Just google them to make sure of opening hours etc. Also Gozo has another area similar to TaQali but cant recall the name. On Gozo have bought some small glass items in shops in Rabat (Victoria)...very professional shops so am sure they would post back to Australia. I bought only small items but they packed them well with lots of tissue paper etc. and boxed.

Mentioned in this post
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
2,167 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arts & Crafts

Thanks for that info Stella099, very helpful :-)

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arts & Crafts

The craft centre in Gozo that Stella099 refers to could be Ta'Dbiegi in Gharb.

Mentioned in this post
Gharb
Gharb
Island of Gozo, Malta
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arts & Crafts

Level Contributor
118 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arts & Crafts

We went to the craft village in Gozo last year with some friends from Australia who were going to arrange for some glass to be shipped back. I think in the end they opted to pack it securely in their suitcases as they didn't have enough to justify the cost of shipping, but if you buy enough to justify it, the shop is happy to ship it for you.

Mentioned in this post
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arts & Crafts

Will keep that in mind :-)