We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVIS Malta Airport - warning

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Topic
AVIS Malta Airport - warning

I recently rented a Kia Picanto from AVIS at Malta airport. Upon returning home I noticed on my rental invoice that a Kia Picanto had been classed as Category F and therefore the additional liability insurance that I purchased was charged at the higher rate of €9 per day rather than the lower rate of €7 per day.

I have subsequently looked on the AVIS website and see that Category F cars are large saloon type cars such as BMW 3 series - certainly not a KIA Picanto!!

I have taken this up with AVIS and I am awaiting a response. I just wanted to warn everyone to look out for this blatant rip off tactic used by AVIS at Malta airport.

I mistakenly believed that by using AVIS - one of the better known brands - I would avoid the Malta car hire rip offs often described on this website...... obviously not!

64 replies to this topic
Greater London...
Level Contributor
163 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

doesnt surprise me with Avis .Once I hired a car for two days and was told to return the tank full.

On the way back to return the car (ie St Andrews petrol station to Hilton Malta) , I put in €30 of fuel, ie filled it right up.

Surprise, surpise SIX months later £30 appeared on my credit card as a refuelling fee. Avis UK and MT were not interested!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

All of these car rental issues makes me pleased I pay and use as a deposit card with American Express. Twice Avis tried to rip me off with unauthorized charges and twice I have appealed them via Amex who refunded me immediately pending investigation that they undertake and on both occasions Avis were unable to provide the evidence and so I didn't need to pay up. I hate that I have had to appeal but with so many horror stories I'm glad I had the support of my card provider. I now no longer use Avis or Budget based on these issues. I now stay local and use KWL where Laurence has always given me a good deal. This year however no rental .... I'm going in my own

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

Enjoy the drive Scubapro. I'm practising this year with a driving holiday to Italy and a ferry over to Elba for a few days. Perhaps next year I'll drive to Malta :). No doubt I will fly over for a visit soon though!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

AVIS MALTA - BEWARE!!

I rented a car from Avis. I was on a cruise visiting Malta and only wanted it for a few hours. The car was €30 for the day. I was told that €1000 would be blocked for 7 days in case there was an accident, as I did not opt for full insurance. I returned the car to the AVIS Msida branch, where I originally had taken it. On return the car was half full and was told to return it as such. The car was inspected, including the fuel gauge, and I asked their inspector whether everything is OK and he said fine.

When I returned in the UK I found that they had blocked 2 €1000 amounts ie €2000 and my bank blocked my card as they suspected fraud. I thought this was a genuine mistake which can happen. Then I found that they had charged the agreed €30 but also another €56. After several international phone calls I was told that they charged me €26 for petrol and €30 for returning the car to the airport instead to the place I took it from. After several e-mails and phones they apologized for the mistake they made for the place the car was returned and reimbursed me. However they kept insisting on the petrol despite that I insisted that the tank was returned half full and when inspected in my presence (when I could contest) I was reassured everything was fine.

I strongly advise customers to get written statement when they return the car, or avoid booking from AVIS Malta altogether.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

It doesn't Surprise me either! I booked and prepaid and automatic car at Avis Malta Airport. I was told upon arrival that they didn't have one, but they could give me a manual, instead.

I told them I wanted an automatic car.

They said the ONLY automatic they have just got damaged in an accident and was not available.

I asked WHY I DON'T HAVE AN EMAIL FROM YOU, telling me that? The woman shrugged and told me that due to the circumstances she could return my money back.

Worst possible car company, terrible customer service. Never more.

Very kind and helpful the people at Budget, though!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
163 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

"Very kind and helpful the people at Budget, though!" , weird considering they are the same company! :)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

avis sad not a great company

Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

We visit Malta on regular basis so we think we were quite experienced in what to expect from car hire companies in Malta. We used to hire from Avis most of the time however,inspite of us being regulars & told them many times that we have our own insurance they still tried it on. This additional cost makes car rental so expensive. It leaves a bad taste when you discover the hefty added charges on you credit card statement a couple of weeks after returning home. So before signing the rental document READ IT PROPERLY!! In addition, hopefully this will never happen to anyone. Should you be involved in road traffic accident NEVER attempt or allow anyone to move your car irrespective of the large traffic queues as you will be held responsible whether at fault or not!! Wait until the police arrive & take as many photos as you can. Hope this is helpful & not meant to put any one off going to Malta as it is a beautiful island - enjoy.

Sussex
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

I wish we had read your review before renting a car from Avis at the airport. I have never paid an excess for a second driver before with other car hire companies in the UK or Spain but Avis charged almost as much as the weekly rental. It was the most expensive car hire I have ever paid - I think Hertz and others based at the airport are equally expensive - it may be worth checking out some of the independent car hire companies - any recommendations would be helpful for our next visit.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVIS Malta Airport - warning

Hi Foxglove.

In future try this firm --- very honest and reliable.

http://www.compasscarhire.com/

Graham

Reply to: AVIS Malta Airport - warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted