We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love or hate it?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Love or hate it?

Hi, i have booked to go to qawra palace next Easter. People who i have told all seem to have formed the same sort of opinions that it's an island that you either love or hate. My querie is what is it that people don't seem to like about it?

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
101. Re: Love or hate it?

Bringing this thread back up.We are just back from 12 wonderful days in Malta.we stayed in St Julians in the Balluta area.I am afraid I must agree that the standard of cleanliness in the toilets ofthe bars we went in was terrible.I drank shorts so I wouldnt have to go to them!The eating places we went in in the Spinola area had lovely clean toilets.I would name and shame but its not fair,I told the staff that their toilets were a health hazard by the way.they replied that they had a cleaner to which I said well they should be sacked.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
102. Re: Love or hate it?

Hi Jewel as much as it sadens me to do so but I agree with you regarding the standards of public toilets on the Islands i think english bars and pubs toilets are equally as dirty, but when one visits Germany, Netherlands, France and Belgium the standards are much higher, that said tell us the nice bits about your trip such as the best bits and places visited etc etc please tell us why you liked these things it would be interesting and beneficial to others.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: Love or hate it?

Siggi,

Don't agree with you that English bar and pub toilets are as bad as Malta, it just is not the case - I agree that improvements generally are required, but overall they are by far superior to those on offer at some of the Maltese establishments.

malta
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
104. Re: Love or hate it?

Dustyjoe there might be exeptions but i can assure you that the health authorities go around food establishments making spot checks and surprise visits and they require a hight standard of hygene. i live in malta and have been to many restaurants and i don't ever recall having a food poisining. with regards the toilets yes i agree some of them tend to be dirty and that's a shame.

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: Love or hate it?

I really enjoyed our visit to Malta Siggie.The Maltese people were stars and the food was tasty with huge portions.The Hypogeum was amazing , well worth the 20 euro and having to book weeks in advance.The buses were cheap and give or take 10 minutes usually on time.We saw lots of the island.The promenade sea front at Sliema was a lovely breezy place with lots of viewpoints.well done sliema !I washowever surprised by the amount of empty decaying propertyies in prime positions, for example overlooking Valletta harbour.These would be snapped up in the UK! I have mentioned the toilet situation in my earlier post and i stand by it.I disagree that toilets in the UK are as filthy, especially ones in pubs in prime positions right on the sea front.They should be shut down!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: Love or hate it?

I'm in malta coming to the end of a ten day holiday.all I can say is u have to try it out for yourself and make yr own mind up as with most places.I am one of those who having tried it,hates it and won't be back.I love history and not at all bothered by lack of beaches so I really thought I would be ok.but all i found the island to be was an urban sprawl of unsightly buildings in the mass areas and a beautiful church stuck in the middle.Traffic on the roads makes sightseeing a nightmare as does lack of signs and extreme lack of parking.travelling by bus MAY be better? From what I could see(couldn't park) most beach area's become very crowded very early so it always felt u were fighting for your little bit if space on the island.not a pretty island at all.good bit of malta the sun ( beware they do get strong winds also)

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
107. Re: Love or hate it?

Why do you think you shouldn't 'name and shame' those establishments that have dirty toilets or where hygene in general is lacking?They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Apart from complaining to the staff you could also send a complaint to the Tourist Authority. Even if you don't want the hassle of actually making an official complaint, if you mention the name of the guilty restaurant/bar here it's always a step forward. Many places have been shut down after inspections and only allowed to re-open when the faults have been remedied. Nowadays many restaurants and hotels have 'Recommended by Trip Advisor' stickers so I'm sure the owners wouldn't enjoy seeing the names of these places on this forum.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: Love or hate it?

Malta is a changing country over the past number of years I can see a vast improvement in the roads the hotels and restaurants are upping their game and the pubs are starting to improve. Ireland was like that before the EU money and regulations started to take effect.

If you walk along the back streets of Sliema and look at the wiring that is going into apartments and houses would not be allowed over here and you will start to hear the words Health and Safety over the next few years as is the case over here. Every time you try to do anything that is what you hear so Malta will improve but their is one thing the EU cant make a mess of and that is the lovely people who live there.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
109. Re: Love or hate it?

I think what we have to accept is that Malta is a Med country i.e. the character of its inhabitants is very different to that of the Brits and Northern European countries. People are more laid back, relaxed, friendly,......... and indisciplined. Gradually things are improving. EU funds and education are changing things but it takes time but there is a lot of emphasis in schools teaching the importance of litter control, recycling and getting recognised as an eco-school so hopefully the next generation will have been better educated.

For example we had seat belts in our cars for ages but no one bothered to use them. We also didn't feel the need for car seats for children. Then the Government imposed fines and lo and behold everyone started using seat belts and car seats.

110. Re: Love or hate it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, November 28, 2013