We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriva Buses

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Arriva Buses

Can someone explain to me how Arriva Buses can charge different fairs depending on nationality? IE a day ticket cost 1.50 euro for a Maltese citizen but any other EU citizen has to pay 2.50. This is against EU law, as it discriminates against other EU citizens. Anyone from Arriva buses care to explain to the many tourist that visit Malta, why you are breaking EU laws and ripping them off?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriva Buses

The difference in fares is not by nationality, it is by country of residence. It is also the Maltese Government that have specified the fares, not Arriva who are simply charging what they have been told to charge as part of their contract.

Basically the Maltese Government is paying for Maltese residents (and tax payers) to travel at a reduce rate. Maltese nationals who live abroad have to pay the higher rate just like us.

Having said that, this issue has been raised in Brussells and a verdict is awaited (although having taken legal advice, the Maltese Government is confident that it is in the right).

Phil-the-Bus

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriva Buses

I think that Arriva has a short life on our island. Our friends in Gudja have lost the bus service they had with the old buses. Now they have a long walk to get to a bus. Other cities are complaining. I am not leaving my area at all unless someone gives me a ride. i lost all trust in Arriva. Walking down to the front to catch a bus you find they are mostly full up to capacity.......

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriva Buses

Remember that Arriva did not design the routes or the frequencies at which they operate - the Government told them what to run and how often.

Arriva is simply responsble for designing a workable timetable for each route and then running it reliably (although I agree that it is struggling to do this).

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriva Buses

Phil-the-bus You need a Maltese ID card, can a non Maltese resident obtain a Maltese ID card? Plus it has been mentioned in the Malta Times that Maltese people who do not look Maltese have been discriminated against. My mother was one of them, as she is Maltese but has very fair skin. This is definitely a nationality thing, no matter how the Maltese government try and wash it over.

Lets face it Malta joined the EU because they wanted to take from it and contribute nothing. I say this as a man whose both parents are Maltese.

Edited: 10:08 pm, October 09, 2011
Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriva Buses

It is absolutely maddening that you have to show your ID Card to go from one city to another on the Arriva bus. Maybe soon we will need passports. No matter, what if Arriva want to keep their "good" name they should stand up to the government because we are not satisified.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriva Buses

I agree with compo that it is indeed a complete shambles and I know a lot of us in the know had predicted it would be so, but with regards prices what a lot of tourists are missing the point about is that the 7 day bus pass is now actually cheaper than it was under the old system, I hope that arriva has a short stay on the islands and we can go back to our beloved old yellow busses and familiar routes, but fat chance with that I think.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriva Buses

Cheaper or not, discrimination is discrimination. Malta joined the EU, but seem to want to discriminate against its member states.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriva Buses

Hi there....

Agreed about the descrimination on bus fares, how would it go down if we here in London for example charged visitors more than locals ??, should be the same as here, same fare for all, except for Senoir Citizens who get well deserved free travel in London..

Regards

Dave

burnley
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriva Buses

having just returned from malta and used the buses can arriva tell me why on the few times that i asked the driver for a day ticket he would give me the ticket by hand from the ticket roll and not from the ticket machine that was on the bus and always the time that was printed on the ticket was wrong to the time that i had got on the bus at

NC
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriva Buses

Wow Beverlyb--hard to see that any other way than the driver issuing used tickets and pocketing the money, since it's not being registered by the ticket machine. Sickening!