We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gozo Transfers

South Wales
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Gozo Transfers

What is the best option for transferring from the airport to Gozo(excluding the helicopter which is way too expensive)? As far as I see it we can drive ourselves or book a taxi transfer (either all the way or separate cars on each side). We intend to hire a car in Gozo, so would it just be easier to get one at the airport? It will be very late when we arrive however and I`m a bit nervous about driving to the ferry in the dark

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gozo Transfers

The road from Luca airport to the ferry harbour (Circewwa)has improved a lot the last year, and you should have no worries about driving to the ferry even if it is late. Less traficc also.You will need about 45 minutes to the ferry.

Look up the ferry time table !!

www.gozochannel.com

Many car rental firms at the airport.

Renting a car at the airport - yes.

Having a taxi transfer from a garage to the ferry harbour will cost you about 12- 14 LM, and depending on where you are going to stay on Gozo another 4-8 lira. Taxis from the taxistand outside the airport a little less.

We normally use Marios garage and car rental on Gozo. Mario will come and pick you up at the airport and drive you to your destination on Gozo for about 28 LM. He is always punctual and you can trust him asa very good driver.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,537 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gozo Transfers

We are going to Malta on Thursday next week and after much searching on the web and then comparing results with what my Maltese friend over there , with his "contacts", could obtain, best rates I obtained and booked with were www.merlin.com.mt, Email addy pbonnici@merlin.com.mt. They have new models and meet you at Luqa on arrival. Only there do you pay anything. Nothing in advance. Try them for a quote and see if it covers using for the whole of your holiday on Gozo.You may have to pay an "out of hours" pick up fee but that should be a lot lower than the taxi pick-up fee quoted.

As for driving to Ferry in the dark, that should be no problem as route is quite straightforward and will be quiet at night. You can always go on to a Route Planner site such as http://www.uk.map24.com/ If you put in Malta, Luqa as your Start point and Malta, Mgarr (not Gozo, Mgarr) as your destination you will get a detailed route planner and map.

The last Summer Fery is 23.30, Winter 24.00.

South Wales
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gozo Transfers

Thanks for the advice. I`m not normally a timid driver, just been reading too many scary stories about Maltese roads. I have found a company on Gozo (AEL Car Rentals) who`ll provide delivery/collection at the airport. Has anyone out there used this company?