We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer and restaurant prices

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Beer and restaurant prices

Hi all

Just budgeting for our fortnight's holiday in Malta - could locals and regular visitors give me some idea of beer and meal prices. We tend to go to budget/mid market places and particularly like pizza, pasta and local dishes - any particular recommendations for bars & restaurants in Il Gzira, Sliema and Valetta

Cheers!

Joe G

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Beer prices can vary a lot and I have seen bars that charge from one euro to two euros a pint . Big hotels are, as you would expect a lot dearer.

Beer from supermarkets can usually be found for 50 to 60 cents for a 500 ml can ( slightly less than a pint )

Wine from a supermarket can also be very inexpensive , only a couplr of euros a bottle

As for food try to find where the local people eat.

In the area you mention try the A1 Cafe and confectionary at the far end of Gzira ( on the corner where the road goes to the left )

A nice plate of pasta is very cheap.

Have a ride into Mosta and find the Olympic Bar next to the bank of Valletta , opposite the dome. A huge plste of pasta ( such as Spag Bol ) is only 2.80 euros.

Both these places I mention are always full and very popular.

When I am in Malta I often make a meal of snacks from a pastizeria. Three or four cheese cakes ( or pea cakes ) at about 25 cents each will set you up for the day.

OH ! and by the way , if anyone tells you that these pastizzi are fattening and high in cholestoral just remember that any food eaten on holiday doesn`t count towards your calorie intake !

Graham

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Thanks Graham - so beer seems to be a fair bit cheaper than in Greece where it is up to 4 euro for 500ml

I'll make a note of the places you mention and had already spotted the pies!

sheffield
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

we just come back from malta and i found it more exspensive than greece we were paying 2euro 50 cent for a pint in most pubs some are more exspensive you can get snacks cheep but i thought meels were quite exspensive main courses started from about 10 euro

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

HI Joe.

I normally budget about 1000 pound sterling per week. But before you gasp and nearly faint, this is for everything for me The wife and little one. And this includes numerous beers and wines in the hotel.

This is not scrimping on anything either. Lunch, dinner and plenty of beverages. 3 or 4 days out as well Joe.

Beer prices do vary a lot from the big bright lights and music joints to the local bar with one bar man but over all it is about 2 thirds the price at home if you take it as an average.

Can't help you with food in sliema as we always stay in st julians but we have had a few lunch time snacks at tonys bar on the sea front which is always pretty good.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Thanks Kaz & Bob - £1000 a week, Bob - eek - we are planning on taking that for 2 weeks with a £100 reserve! Mind you we don't plan to have much for lunch as we will be having breakfast at hotel - though I drink more beer & wine than I should!

We are going to use the local buses to get around - last chance for me to travel on them before they are scrapped in the summer - and we will be buying the card that gets you into most of the museums and historic sites so hopefully will not spend too much on days out after those.

Looked on Thomsons web site and the excursions on there are unbelievably expensive I can't imagine anyone going on them - £40+ for places you can easily get a bus to! Even the hop on hop off bus seems cheap in comparison

Be interested in eating places in St Julians as well as we will probably wander round there a few nights as well.

Cheers

Joe

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Kaz737 says he paid 2.50 euro for a pint of beer .

This must have been in a five star hotel , I never paid more than 1.5 euro for a pint

As for tours do not go with your holiday company . Most places are easy to get to by buses.

There are several local tour companies that do a choice of trips at a fraction of the cost.

Mary`s shop ( Freestar Tours ) near the bus station ( anyone will tell you where she is ) are good value and she also changes money at a fair exchange rate.

Can`t believe anybody saying Malta is expensive --- unless of course you don`t shop around and check out the local places.

Graham.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
231 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Sorry to hijack this thread for just a minute...

What do you mean the old buses are going to be scrapped?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Arriva buses from UK are taking over the running of the Malta bus service.

The old buses are being scrapped .

We will have to wait and see how it works out.

Graham

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Though it will be sad to see the old buse go at least the Arriva replacements are likely to be safer and more comfortable for the locals - also the islands air quality should improve significantly! I suspect the fares will not be the same though!

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer and restaurant prices

Hi Joe

Graham & the stagster are pretty spot on.

I generally find 100 euros goes a long way in Malta. A few rules

* don't be put off by the prices in the pastry shops, which are everywhere - the pies, pastizzis & pizza slices ARE that cheap. Personally it's chicken pie (1 -1.25euro) always for me. Similarly you can get filled baguettes and tuna ftira for 1 - 2 euro

* don't be put off by the advertised beer prices in pubs/bars - that's for the grockels, and is for draught beer (2.5euro is not that bad for draught Cisk), don't be shy ask what they have in cans or bottles - you might be lucky and get Golden Pils for 1euro a 500ml can, generally you shouldn't pay more than 1.5euro for a very nice generic German or Dutch lager

* unlike some parts of the world, the nibbles, nuts, cheese & crackers or even pizza slices that might be put on your table with your beers ARE complimentary (that's free!) really

* don't go the Olympic in Mosta - terrible place.....no it's my fav & the spag bol is just 2.8euro and a lager 1.5 to wash it down

* for those times when you're not drinking beer, water is an essential, and fairly cheap about 40c for a 500ml bottle.

* have as big a breakfast as your guts can manage

* don't worry about having a few drinks then going sight seeing - you're never too far from a public WC in Malta

Cans of Carling Lager are flooding the island at present, if offered the choice always go for something else & don't be put off by Skol, its locally brewed and OK.

Have a fun cheap time

Ntd