We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

Hi

We are considering booking a trip to Malta in the last week of April, or during May.

I've been looking up various sites trying to find out how hot it will be, and although I've found some really useful information on average air temperature, it doesnt really make it clear whether its warm enough to swim in the sea or not.

Can anyone please help -

Thanks very much!

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

April can be a bit risky but it depends what you call cold. May the water is warming up and depending on how hot spring has been it can already reach temps of 20/21C.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

April will be freezing - sea temperature I mean. It is still cold even at the end of May but getting bearable. Sea stays warm longer at the other end of summer as it has had the sun on it all summer long, so you could swim well into October and maybe even beginning of November if the weather is fine.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

I am still wearing a wetsuit in May and most of my diving air is used as I enter the water.

Compared to home (2-5C) the sea is warm but the last 2 years in may Malta water temp has been 15-17C

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

i have venture in the sea in may but god its cold when you get in in fact you feel is if you have frozen i wait till june then its lovely. the sea temp around maltese islands takes a long time to cool down and a long time to warm up. kids will swim in march . they dont notice the cold.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

I knew it was somewhere other than my own dive computer records.

Try using: www.maltairport.com/weather/page.asp…

Scroll to the bottom and the daily sea temperature is shown. Noticed that today it was 16C which has got to be good for February. It will still dip a little more over the next 6 weeks or so but not by much.

Hope it helps.

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

This year the sea wont get any colder. We had our winter over Christmas and since then it has been lovely Spring weather. You can be out in a t-shirt most days.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

Thanks very much for all of your replies. I think I might hold off and travel a bit later on, when I am guaranteed warmer waters!

Thanks again

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

Towards the end of June would be ideal if you don't have kids and have to stick to school holidays

9. Re: When is it warm enough to go swimming in the sea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, September 19, 2009