We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days 1 Night to Westfjords --- possible?!

Macau, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days 1 Night to Westfjords --- possible?!

Dear experts:

I was thinking about taking the ferry (Baldur) to have a glance at the Westfjords, do you think the following is feasible? 2Days 1 Night

Day 1

- Reyk drive to Snæfellsnes, then to Stykkishólmur to have lunch

- Stykkishólmur boat tour 13:30 --> Flatey (stay for 2hrs on island) ---> Brjánslækur

- Overnight in Brjanslaekur

Day 2

- Explore in the morning (What to explore??), then boat tour back to Stykkishólmur and drive straight back to Reyk (at night)

Pls give me some advice! Thanx....!

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 Days 1 Night to Westfjords --- possible?!

I took the ferry from Stykkishólmur and started a road trip from there visiting Latrabjarg and then up to Isafjordur and then east towards Akureyri. I think you would really be rushed for a one nighter to either location and should probably go when you could spend more time and explore a larger area.

I went to the Westfjords this May as part of my two week trip. Ended up in Westfjords for 6 days and it was rushed; could have stayed there the whole two weeks. It was amazing scenery and looked entirely different from anything I've ever seen in Iceland. The landscapes are incredible.

In Iceland there are lots of pulloffs along the roads with signage about the area. When I got off the ferry in Brjánslækur I was headed to Breidavik guesthouse near Latrabjarg that night. The lady said to allow two hours, knowing we would be slow while looking at scenery, but we ended up taking about 4 or 5 hours after stopping constantly, jumping out to take pictures, exploring abandoned farms we'd find etc... Bottom line is that if you are like me, it will take way longer to get from point A to point B because of all the wonderful distractions. We kept an open itinerary though and had no set plans from day to day, and it's a good thing.

Regarding "tourist services", In May we found out that there were absolutely no "tourist services" and that the Westfjords turns on like a lightswitch with services starting June 8 (or maybe it's the 16th) and everyone kept saying "you are simply two weeks two early". It was true. We could not get a boat tour, we could not rent a kayak. But there was too much to do and see anyhow that our days were full so we were not dependent on services. It might have been nice to find food though because that was hard.

We spend one night and one day in Latrabjarg and had the bird cliffs to ourselves and spent the better part of a day on the trail that runs along the cliff. It was amazing! Grass was not very green yet but still incredible landscape to take in and strangely the water is such a teal blue. I'll bet it's nice in the fall. I saw puffins in the afternoon, but only a handful. Lots of other seabirds though. But we did get very close to them as they were about a foot away from my head when I leaned over the cliff to look. The lady from Breidavik said the best time to see puffins is late at night (in May it was light out all night, like dusk), but we found out too late when we were on our way out.

As for the GPS, definitely rent a car with a Garmin GPS. We went last year with the downloadable free map mentioned here, and that was great, showed hiking trails and stuff, but it was a problem not being able to route it; the Garmin GPS that we rented with our car this time made things so much easier! Having done both and able to compare, I'd definitely rent the Garmin with routable Iceland map. You can put the downloadable map on a card and bring it and view the data on top of the Garmin.

12. Re: 2 Days 1 Night to Westfjords --- possible?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, December 09, 2009