We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vik to Jokulsarlon

Which Vik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Vik to Jokulsarlon

Hello! I'm visiting Iceland with my family (including a young baby) and we really want to see the Jokulsarlon lagoon. We're staying near Selfoss, and have a 2WD car, but I've been told that sandstorms can be a problem on the way. Can't take a long coach ride because of the baby (and the budget!). Ideally, we'd like to drive to Vik then pick up a bus to the lagoon, but I can't find much information on catching a bus anywhere except Reykjavik. Does anyone know if they run, or what the fare would be?

Thanks!

Jenny

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vik to Jokulsarlon

If I understand your posting correctly then you are already in Iceland?

The weather forecast for the next few days (until and including Wednesday) 25 August shows very light winds for teh south coast, so there seems little risk of sandstorms. http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/

The information you need about buses is here :

nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_to_hofn.htm

sterna.is/en/ferdir/hopurview/12_12a_-_reykj…

Note there is only one bus a day in each direction and it's not possible to return the same day. Travel time Vík-Jökusárlón is scheduled 2h 50m

Fares are here, one way. Yellow is all persons aged 12 and above; red is for disabled and seniors (67+), also schoolchildren to/from school;

blue children 4-11; younger children travel free. Use the fare from Vík to Breiðam.lón

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vik to Jokulsarlon

Don´t be silly, drive the whole way. The drive from Selfoss is about 320 Km. each way, about 4 hours non stop driving.

But you will want to make hundreds of stops along the way, so the best thing is to drive, besdes the bus fare is probably more expensive than the gas.

Sandstorms ??? I think not, it was few days when the volcano was erupting, but it is no more.

Drive !

B-)

3. Re: Vik to Jokulsarlon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, February 17, 2011