We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

We are considering a trip this early spring or summer to Reykjavik. We have two babies... one will be a little over 2 years old...the other slightly over 1 year old.

Can anyone make suggestions on what we can do to entertain ourselves with babies along? What part of the city should we stay? Are there parks near by? Could you recommend a "kid friendly" hotel..with pool or other family type entertainment?

We'd probably stay in Reykjavik...but are open to maybe taking a few daytrips. Should we rent a car?

Thanks for any input!

:-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

Can't really comment on kid-friendly hotels (I tend to avaoid them !), but there are loads of pools and spas around. So many in fact that few hotels have them. Lots of parks too. Most famous spa is the Blue Lagoon, but there are others within Reykjavik too.

If you search for the tourist web sites, you'll find all the details. But I stayed once at the Nordica, which had a wonderful spa. Sit in the large tub (holds about 8 people) and get a free neck and shoulder massage. Bliss. Can't say what their policy is on children.

Central Reykjavik is very compact - a few blocks - and right in the centre is a large pond/lake. This attracts loads of wildfowl and its fun to feed them - I'm sure your children would enjoy it.

There's lots of scope for day trips and places I'm sure even at their age, your children would be interested in the Geysers and waterfalls not too far from the city. (I assume you can hire car baby seats - but I think it worth checking what the requirements are. IN the UK, its fairly strict)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

Although Icelanders are very friendly and will make families welcome everywhere, I just can't say that Iceland is a particularly child-friendly destination. For one thing, food is very expensive and it isn't as common to see families with very young children in there as it is in Europe or the US. Also, there aren't an awful lot of things to do for kids - most of Iceland's attractions are natural wonders, and kids probably won't be all that impressed!

Having said that, there are some swimming pools which are popular with families. The main hotel with a pool is the Nordica but it is really more of a health spa.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

Like mentioned before, the rules are strict about baby safety in cars, so check baby seats.

Hotel loftleiðir has an indoor swimmingpool, and it´s located within walking distance from the beach (open june through Sept).

Also close to Loftleiðir is the pearl of Reykjavik, a restaurant,view point, indoor and outdoor springs (warm and cold), the Saga museum, and its in the middle of the one of the towns recreation areas, with woodland, nice walking paths and rabbits.

The Hotel Nordica is like mentioned a good one, and it´s in the main recreation area of Reykjavik. Within a one-mile radius you´ll find:

The Zoo, the family amusement park, the botanic garden, the indoor skating rink, and the biggest swimmingpool (more like aqualand), with facilities for babies (shallow poddles,water slides and fun).

Also the big mall is close by, (more than 100 shops, restaurants and theatres).

Of course there are more economic accommondations in the same area, like Hotel Atlantic, a almost hostel-like place with big family rooms. And Gesthouse Borgartun (www.gjtravel.is), also with good and cheap rooms.

Then there is of course the Reykjavik hostel, next to the swimmingpool, in the middle of the recreation area.

If you are in early June, then you should consider the farm holidays

www.farmholidays.is, it could be the perfect way to introduce the nature and the new life to your family.

All in all, Iceland is a family friendly country, all you need is common sense. And remember, you will be travelling with the most valuable things you own, your family. Choose the vehicle you rent very carefully, the bigger the safer, of course more expensive, but hey! who puts a price on ones family safety?

B.

Boh@internet.is

4. Re: Traveling Iceland with toddlers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 19, 2009