We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Public transport

Hi

Is it easy to get aound Reykjavik? We are not keen to hire a car so just wondered if we would be a bit stuck!

We are planning on staying at the Hotel Bjork and I'm not sure how far away this is from everything.

I'm also wondering if there is a bus from the airport to the hotels?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport

www.visitreykjavik.is/yellowpages.asp…

Very easy to get round. The centre is small (I think its Europes smallest capital, about 4 streets by 3 streets), and the map in that link shows where all the hotels are. I think you are about 10 minutes walk from the centre. There are many buses as the suburbs are spread out.

See the flybus for details of where the airport bus goes. From memory, the bus station is near the Bjork.

If none of this makes sense, please let me know.

ALmost all info on Iceland is online. A quick search in Google usually brings up loads of factual info .

Enjoy your trip.

Mobile,AL
Level Contributor
89 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport

I stayed at the Hotel Bjork for 6 nights last week. I roamed extensively on the bus system(Straeto) and found it easy to use. There is a bus stop one block from the front door of the hotel and it is a five minute walk to the main bus station at Hlemmer. You can go to www.bus.is for more info. I used the Reykjavik Tourist Card to pay for my fares.

The Fly Bus is easy to use as well. I swiped my debit card after leaving the arrivals area at KEF and bought a round trip ticket for 1,900 ISK. The Fly Bus took me to the BSI bus depot and then I got in a smaller bus that took me directly to Hotel Bjork. I let the helpful front desk staff at the hotel know one day prior to my departure date to schedule a spot on the Fly Bus and they picked me up at the front door of the hotel.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport

Thanks both for your advice - I'll check out those websites! The tourist card sounds interesting - I'm glad the buses sound easy to use!

4. Re: Public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, August 25, 2009