We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uk Lancashire
Level Contributor
391 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
prices

I have never been to Iceland but considering it. I have been told the prices of food and drink are a joke it this true ?

anyone got any good tips on hoe to get there or if there are any good deals about to go at xmas time or in Feb ?

How cold will it be then ?

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices

How expensive the food is there depends on what you're used to. I'm from the U.S. and I found everything to be quite expensive. We spent $20 for a 12" pizza and a 2 liter bottle of soda, and that was 40% off the normal price. $20 isn't bad, but full price would have been ridiculous. Even at 40% off, it was more expensive than it would be here. Dinners at restaurants generally cost us around $100 or so for two people. Sometimes that included dessert, but mostly not. Neither of us had alcohol and I generally drank only water. For our last dinner in Iceland, we ate at Cafe Opera. I had the lobster (which was a BIG plate of lobster -- 15 of them -- w/ shrimp and risotto underneath) and my husband had a bowl of lobster soup and their three fish dinner. He had a Sprite and I had water. They gave us a tiny complimentary appetizer for some reason. They also serve bread with the meal. Our bill came to $142. Hope this helps.

Although I've only been there in late August/early September, I would think that Christmastime through Feb could be quite cold. While their temperatures are quite moderate all year, it's the wind that is the wild card. The wind there is brutally cold when it's blowing -- no matter what time of year.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices

Where are you starting from? Icelandair, BA and Iceland Express compete from the UK.

I was there in March and found it slightly warmer ! than the UK then, but I agree that the wind can be vicious. make sure you have wind and waterproof outer layer (like ski-wear).

The prices are not a joke. Everything bar cod and lamb needs to be imported or grown under glass.

I found there was a wide variety of prices but, on average, prices were about 50% dearer than what I'm used to in London. However, I didn't eat pizza or hotdog very often, which would keep your costs down.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices

I was pleasantly surprised about prices, we managed accomodation for 5 of us for about 100 GBP per night. We were with children so didnt want any top end restaurants. These are some of the places we tried: Vegemot - enjoyed this the most good atmosphere (vegetarian nachos to share, vegetable burrito, louisiana chicken, chicken enchilada, 2 childrens meals 6 soft drinks 4 x 50cl beers all for about 9500 isk). It is just off the main shopping street.

We also had a great pizza at Eldsmidjan, Braggata 38a near Hallgrimskirkja (difficult to find - not the cathedral!!) 16" pizza about 1800 isk plenty for 2, and they do jugs - 1.5 litre cola etc for about 350 isk.

We also tried the Nudluhaus Thai (sort of asian greasy spoon cafe) cheap 900 isk main couses, good value but rather bland.

Shalimar Indian quite small portions nice flavours vegetarian not particularly cheap but menu of the day about 1200 isk inclused rice / salad / yoghurt.

Didn't drink any wine anywhere though!!

Hope this helps.

We went at Easter, weather very changeable, but winter is a good time of year to go as accomodation and car hire cheaper??

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices

Iceland is expensive for several reasons:

It's Scandinavia, the VAT is 25%.

Iceland is isolated from other countries.

May be it's expensive, but I think that Iceland is eventually the most extraordinary country in the world where landscape is stunning.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices

Food is about twice UK prices, soft drinks and hot drinks perhaps 50% more, depending where you go. From our experience last week I'd recommend Bed and Breakfast (and eat as much as you can!), takes snacks for lunch, then you can eat for around £10 in the evening. The Thai Noodle house was around 900 ISK for a freshly cooked meal with a jug of water and free coffee. We also had the most delicious fish and chips in the city centre at 850 ISK (around £7). It appeared that self-catering wouldn't be much better because food is expensive generally.

You don't need to buy bottled water because cafes and restaurants provide a jug and or coffee, as do some shops.

Choose your hotel/guesthouse location carefully and try to be within walking distance of Laugavegur (the main shopping street) so you don't need to spend money on taxis or buses. There are guest houses quite centrally located if you're on a budget. The YHA is another possibility if you're on a very tight budget.

If money is limited, just accept that this is not going to be an eating out holiday and spend your money on the trips out. We spent £140 between two of us while there for 4 nights, which included return Flybus tickets and meals out, but not trips. Can anyone beat that?

blackburn
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices

Hi - I found Iceland to be very expensive. For the same quality, I found it to be TRIPLE the prices in England to eat out. The only reasonably priced bars we found (twice the price of here) the beer was AWFUL! Everything ws so so dear! But worth being bankrupt for the experience I think

7. Re: prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 25, 2009