We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in February?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland in February?

Thinking of taking a trip in February. Anyone any idea what the weather is like at this time of year? What time does it go dark? Can you see the Northern Lights? Any ideas for trips, tours appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland in February?

Hi Ella.

Have a look at these sites, they do tours to Iceland in February.

I like VJV the best, but the other might be more to your likings, since they usually have more family based and mixed groups.

Allready in February you get a full day of daylight, and yes February is probably the best month to see the Nortern lights.

B.http://www.icelandguide.is/guides/2006/05/boerkur_hrolfsson.html

http://www.explore.co.uk/

http://www.vjv.co.uk/

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland in February?

Thanks for the info.

Regards Ella

Peterborough
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland in February?

There are lots of UK based comapnies that can put specific packages together for your needs. Such as Yes Travel who i went with when i traveled last year. The weather can be quite cold but I went in February a few years ago and I was fine. You can see the Northern Lights there are excursions you can go on which take you out the city so the lights are more visible.

CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland in February?

yeah!!!! going to Iceland Feb 2009 / just booked. staying at the hotel ranga for 5 nights, so maybe a few of them will be clear enough for a good show! crossing my fingers...

Britain
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland in February?

Who did you book Hotel Ranga through?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland in February?

I booked through splendia.com.

CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland in February?

right on their website. a lot of rooms at various prices to choose from.

Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland in February?

What activities and sites did you have planned for Iceland during February? It is difficult to tell what is available during the winter.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iceland in February?

I am spending some time in Reykjavik doing the weekend club thing, eating and shopping.

We may go horseback riding when in Reyk, or wait until later in the trip.

We will head south to spend some time @ the Blue Lagoon, then to Hella.

This will be our base for a couple days exploring the south to Vik.

Still working on the details, but will probably just drive and explore a bit, hit some pools and/or ride if we haven't already.

Perth Scotland
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iceland in February?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Iceland this February 2010 and wondered if you did complete your trip and have any advice you could pass on to me. I would be really interested in what type of weather you experienced and what the daylight hours were if you can remember. Haven't organised flights or accommodation yet.