We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Hi, does anyone have any information about how much a taxi would cost from the ferry port to Reykjavik? I know it won't be cheap but we have a 4 hour wait for the bus and I was looking into alternatives. Our journey will be on Sunday June 1...anyone else travelling from Heimaey to Reykjavik that day who fancies sharing a taxi if it is possible?

Joan & David B (UK)

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,831 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

There are buses for all ferry arrivals to Selfoss, and from there to Reykjavik.

…straeto.is/journeyplanner/…

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Thanks for that. I'll look into it. 😊

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
7 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Can you please post once you return, JoanBurton? We are looking into a similar plan later in June. I don't want to be paying for a rental car for a few days while on the Westman Islands when we don't need it, if possible. Thanks a ton!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Hi Nichole...

I have come many times to the Westman Islands, and I highly appreciate having the car with me. Two days there should be enough. :)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Hi there,

I think you will be OK for buses in June. There are two bus companies,as far as I can gather. One is straeto.is that runs all year and the other is sterna.is which runs summer services. The summer schedule starts on 2 June, I think. Check their websites. I have changed our day for getting back to the mainland from Sunday to Saturday and I think that will work much better. I'll post again when we've been and report on whether it worked OK or not!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Hi Nichole,

Our trip to Vestmannaeyar worked like a dream; it all came together just fine! We caught a bus from Hlemmur bus station to Mjodd on a Tuesday morning. There are several buses that go there...12, 11, 4, . Maybe other numbers too. They seem to run about every 15 mins. You need to be at Mjodd in good time to catch the 52 at 10 a.m. There are only three buses a day to the ferry at Landeyjahofn so it doesn't pay to miss one! The 52 goes from the same stand as the 51 but it doesn't tell you that anywhere. It is a 2 hour journey from Mjodd to Landeyjahofn. We arrived at 12.00 and the ferry sailed at 13.00. You are supposed to be there 30 minutes before sailing.

One useful tip that we found out was that you can buy a strip of bus tickets the night before. We needed 2 strips of 20 tickets for 2 passengers return. One ticket took us to Mjodd and 9 did the rest of the journey. When you get on the bus, ask for a Transfer Ticket. I'm not sure how or why this works but we did and it did! 2 x 20 tickets (i.e. Reykjavik to Landeyjahofn return for 2 people) cost us 4600 ISK but that was a Senior Citizen rate so if you are younger it will cost you more! :-(

We sailed back on Saturday on the 11.30 ferry. We were back on the mainland at 12.05 and the 52 bus was waiting. It was much busier than the Tuesday bus by the time we reached Mjodd. We caught a 4 back to Reykjavik. Job done! It was a great trip. Good luck with yours!

Kind regards,

Joan

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

Nichole,

You certainly don't need a hire car on Heimaey. Most places are within walking distance. If you don't fancy walking you can hire a bike for about 4000 ISK for 5 hours or you can take a taxi to the end of the island ...and walk back!

8. Re: Getting from Landeyjahofn ferry to Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 10, 2015