We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

Hi

Across these forums I have heard that Iceland is VERY expensive for everything - including food. I searched a lot but could not find any numbers to substantiate this fact. Can someone help me with this so that I know my rough budget for a trip..

How much does 1 kg of Apple cost in, say, Bonus kind of shop? Same for Milk or Bread. I have an apartment booked with cooking facility hence checking. The place is closer to Kringlan Shopping Mall where I guess there are many shops for grocery shopping.

Bonus is the chain of shop which is like Tesco / Sainsbury in Iceland I guess?

I will compare it to London prices to see if the place is REALLY expensive.

Edited: 8:19 am, April 12, 2014
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

At website "www.hagkaup.is" you can shop most things on-line, including groceries. Hagkaup has many stores, some of them, at least in the Reykjavik area, are open 24/7.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

bsr66, thank you this would also help, like the Bonus Catalogue did. It provides the prices which would help those who worry about these things to budget. Unfortunately would not translate for me. A good dictionary will do that for particular items. Going by the descriptions and using those brands I know, the prices were really good, in my opinion I could not understand how these could be considered expensive. But then I don't consider Iceland all that expensive in comparison anyway. Takk Takk.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

Dianne_Ph and bsr66 thank you for sharing both of those links. We are traveling to Iceland for a week in June and that is very helpful in planning a budget. Yes, it is higher than Canada but manageable :)

14. Re: Exactly -How expensive is Iceland for eating - some numbers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 17, 2015