We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
303 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

Hello,

Odd question, but my partner and I always try to visit cemetaries when we go to new countries; they tell a lot about history and culture. Little known fact: in Bora Bora, they bury you in the front yard and put up a sort of shrine for you there. There are cemetaries in many front yards!

So is there one in (or near) Reykjavik? Is it interesting? I thought I'd heard of one but was not sure.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

Excuse me Icelandicguide, yes they are, but the question I did not have the answer for, was why some of mounds do not have crosses or markings, and others on the other side of the church do . Do you have that answer please. Thank you

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

The ones on the "marked" side are newer, but the unmarked are older, and probably no one left to take care of maintaining the crosses.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

:-) I wondered this. What a story those older ones might tell.! Takk takk Icelandicguide

Edited: 6:13 pm, April 09, 2014
14. Re: Weird question: Cemetary in Reykjavik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 11, 2015