We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Hi,

I will be traveling to Reykjavik with 2 friend for the first time this June and we have a total of 4 days after we land in the early morning to see all that Reykjavik has to offer. We are looking for fun, adventurous and unique activities to do while we are there and would appreciate detailed suggestions of where to go and specifically in what order to do them in order to make the most of our time.

A couple questions I had;

1) I heard the Hot Springs is worth checking out and is something we do on the way from the airport to the city center? Do we need to book it advance or can we simply show up, and is there a service that takes us from the airport to the springs?

2) Do we need to rent a car for our time there, or do you advise booking one day excursions from our hotel?

Out of the recommended places to see below, can we do all of them in 4 days? and is there a best way to combine them given our 4 day itinerary..

1. Golden Circle

2. Blue Lagoon

3. Northern Lights Tou

4. Tour on Glacier

5. Jökulsárlón

6. Snowmobiling

Sorry for all the questions but just want to plan ahead and try to make the most out of our time..

Thank you so much!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

You are not going to be able to see the northern lights in june. The other things are doable, there are golden circle tours that also include snowmobiling on a glacier, and a tour to jökulsarlon will take a whole day.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Hi there!

If you book some sort of tour to the Reykjanes peninsula, maybe from the airport (or you drive), you can go to the hot springs of Seltún (also called Krýsuvík or Krísuvík) along lake Kleifarvatn, and go to the Blue Lagoon. These locations are between the int'l airport, and Reykjavik.

There are hot springs also in the Golden Circle, of course ... with the geysers.

There's a very popular two-day tour to Jökulsárlón that includes a glacier hike - so there you kill two birds with one stone. Such tour begins on a Monday, or a Friday.

About snowmobiling, there are tours to the Golden Circle attractions that include a snowmobile ride as well (from glacier Langjökull).

That's for tours. If you want to see a self-drive that fits more or less to what you mentioned, there's one called 'Fire and Ice - 4 days self drive' and at least you get some more ideas.

Best regards!

Diane

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

I would suggest renting a car. Our itinerary included several of the things you want to see. We did one full day in Reykjavic. We drove to Jokalsarlon lagoon one day, stayed near the lagoon, and back the next. We made multiple stops there and back to explore the south coast. The lagoon was amazing, and some of our other favorite stops were the Svinafellsjokul glacier and Reynisfjara. You can visit lots of waterfalls on the way, and spend some time hiking at Skaftafell. The fourth day we did the golden circle tour, and then went snowmobiling on the glacier in the afternoon. It was amazing!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Thank you everyone for your responses and input! I really appreciate it. You've all been so helpful:)

Can you please recommend an affordable rental car company for 3 people?

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Fox Car Hire offers the best prices. I booked last night for our upcoming trip and did lots of comparisons on Kayak and Booking Buddy. A 4 door manual wagon with unlimitd milage, was less than $300 USD for a week.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

I just returned from a trip to Reykjavik and one thing to consider is your arrival time. In theory it sounds great that you get to Iceland early in the morning and have the day to explore, but consider the fact you've been up all day, flying all night, and unless you have slept on the plane, you are really in no shape to do a day of touring. We got to our hotel and ended up napping for five hours before heading out to town to site-see.

One of our enjoyable tours we did was with Reykjavik Excursions; we travelled the Golden Circle and one of the stops was at Fontana spa.

Good luck with your planning.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Diane and everyone else,

We would like to check out the hot springs of Seltún (also called Krýsuvík or Krísuvík) along lake Kleifarvatn and the Blue Lagoon on our way from the arport for our first day there.

Can you suggest an affordable tour company we can book this tour with in advance that includes transportation from the airport to the hot springs/Blue Lagoon and then to the city to our hotel? Since we are coming in early june I'm assuming it's high season and best not to wait till we arrive to book the tour correct as it will likley be sold out?

Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

You could choose to contact www.tour.is I can absolutely recommend them, have used them several times, and will again.

Edited: 6:59 pm, April 15, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Thank you Aussiegrnnie. Do you suggest using the same website to book tours for Golden Circle, Jökulsárlón and Snowmobiling?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Iceland, need Suggestions of best itinerary!

Yes I do.! They do it all, self drive, private touring, Buses, and Packages, and I know they have packages that do all this. Some of it will be in one tour. I can only recommend those I know, but in fairness there are many operators. Talk to this man ingi@tour.is if you choose to do so. He is the owner. I have met him several times. He has done all of my bookings for me. If you decide to email him now, you wll have an answer by tonight. I think it will around 5.00am in Iceland, as I write this. Good luck

Edited: 1:09 am, April 16, 2014