We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doggie Bags

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
5 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Doggie Bags

Hi everyone,

I have an embarrashing question, but it would be more embarrashing if I did the wrong thing. Is it appropriate to take home leftovers in Iceland? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the remarks. In the US we often go out for dinner but usually only eat about half of the meal. We will usually take the other half home to have lunch the next day. Do Icelander's do doggie bags?

Thanks

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doggie Bags

Don´t expect American size meals here. I doubt that there will be any leftovers.

But Doggie bags are not common here, I have never seen this done.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doggie Bags

No no, it's not embarrassing at all. You paid for the food so if you can't finish it you have every right to take the rest home with you without people looking at you strangely :-)

I don't know about fine dining restaurants, but in general I think you can always ask for a box or a bag for your leftovers. I have done this and seen others do so, especially at family- or casual dining restaurants.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
341 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doggie Bags

I'm planning a trip in July for 14 days and had exactly the same question, actually. I think I will bring a large bento box in case they don't have boxes because I often am just not hungry at the same time as my partner, who eats more often than I do. So when we travel, I often order something and eat it later.

4. Re: Doggie Bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 19, 2015