We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland: Public transport vs rental cars (and insurance)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland: Public transport vs rental cars (and insurance)

Hi, We will be in Iceland for 5 days in early to mid April.

I would value any advice from contributors as to the benefits or disadvantages of public transport vs rental cars. We really do want to have a good look around from Volcanos to lagoons and don't really like organised tours unless safety dictates we must.

If we do hire a car, from what I have read it looks like we will be better to hire a 4x4. Views on that would be appreciated.

It seems that there are many additional insurances to purchase, and that the minimum excess after paying a reduction fee is €300. Does anyone have experiences with this who can give me some advice?

Thanks for reading. I know it takes time to contribute so I appreciate your generosity.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,679 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland: Public transport vs rental cars (and insurance)

There really isn't any need for a 4x4 if you are sticking to the ring road and Golden Circle area. If you feel happier take an AWD.

I have hired on numerous times in winter and summer and never had any problems, we always take the extra insurances. Iceland is one of those countries where you can't waive all the excess.

Driving is easy, good roads, uncrowded and well signed. I like the freedom of a car over tours.

Enjoy this wonderful country.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland: Public transport vs rental cars (and insurance)

Thank you so much - really helpful. we're certainly excited to be going!

3. Re: Iceland: Public transport vs rental cars (and insurance)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2015