We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Reykjavik

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Shopping in Reykjavik

What is the shopping in Reykjavik like? I'd like to check out some fun stationery/gift boutiques that aren't too touristy. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Reykjavik

Hi there!

Could you narrow down a little bit further what you're looking for? What do you have in mind buying? Small items? Woolens? Handicraft? Vintage stuff? For the moment, anything I can think of will be downtown, and that means all kinds of people around - tourists included! :)

The shopping malls have less tourists and more Icelanders. Were you thinking of a place not crowded at all, or simply a place not-marketed for tourists? If the latter, check the shopping mall Kringlan, or Smáralind.

And welcome to the forum :)

Best regards,

Diane

edmonton
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Reykjavik

I was in Iceland in March and happened upon a dress shop on the main shopping street that had the most beautiful dresses. I would describe them as flapper style, with bead/sequence detail. If anyone can tell me the name of the store or designer I would greatly appreciate it. I wouldn't allow myself to try one on and now I am regretting it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Reykjavik

try google street view?

Quezon City...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Reykjavik

Depending on what particular items you are looking for, Reykjavik main shopping street has it all for you. But since you want places not so crowded, you might want to consider reading this article; northernlightsiceland.com/where-to-get-those… Though some of the shops are popular, there might be some place in there that you would want to visit. If you want to go all vintage, then this will help you; northernlightsiceland.com/where-to-shop-vint… . The best thing in Iceland is that its shops and stalls offers more than just what it is on the fine print. Like in those souvenir shops, you will find creative stuffs that the locals made by their own hands. The locals are creative especially when it comes to handicrafts and they are very innovative too!

5. Re: Shopping in Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 17, 2015