We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Hi

Travelling for 3 nights in March and we would like to know if there is anywhere nice to eat near Hotel Cabin where we are staying. We are planning to do the NL on the first night so need to eat around 6pm.

we have been recommended the perlan and Caruso Italian does anyone have any feedback or can recommend anywhere happy to pay the price for a nice meal but don't want to be taking out a second mortgage!

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Grillmarkadurinn (contemporary Icelandic) and Tapas Barinn (mix of Icelandic, Spanish, and Latin American flavors) are both good options in central Reykjavik.

Hong Kong
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Regarding the Grill House you mentioned does one need to make a reservation or can we just turn up and be seated? and same for the Tapas bar I guess!! 2 people dining.

I've also heard Iceland is expensive to eat out, what would you say the average amount for a lunch and a dinner would be per head? Happy to pay, just no idea what to expect?

Many thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

I didn't make reservations. However, I had to wait to be seated. If you know you'll be in town and eating dinner a certain night, call ahead to avoid having to wait. I wouldn't think reservations would be necessary; just preferable.

Iceland is expensive to eat out compared to the United States and Western Europe (outside of Norway and Sweden). I have lived in Madrid and New York and found Icelandic restaurants to be more or less 50% more expensive than restaurants in those two cities. However, prices in Reykjavik tended to be lower than those in the countryside, and there were plenty of places to get "cheap eats" in the city. Overall, prices in Reykjavik didn't surprise me as much as those in the countryside did: in many countryside restaurants, it was not uncommon to see main courses for 5000+ ISK.

For two people dining at a typical sit-down restaurant, we'll assume a shared starter, two main courses, and a shared dessert, no alcoholic drinks. Cost will likely be 12000 ISK. On the other end of the spectrum, each of you could get a sandwich, burger, or doner kebab for lunch and spend less than 3000 ISK between the two of you. I tended to budget this way: inexpensive lunch, more expensive dinner.

Edited: 11:12 am, February 10, 2014
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Like the first responder, I definitely also recommend Tapas Barinn. It was one of the most delicious meals we had and the price wasn't bad when you look at how much food you get. Try the Icelandic Gourmet Feast. For around $50 per person, you get to sample seven dishes and have a shot of the local liquor. We didn't have reservations and we able to get a seat right away, although it was a weekday so I don't know if it would be different on weekends.

We also liked Icelandic Fish and Chips. And make sure to try the famous hot dog stand!!

Cheshunt, United...
Level Contributor
507 posts
630 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Hi Craig

Just came back this weekend from Reykjavik and we ate at the Grill market Friday night, walked in at 3pm and asked to book a table for 2 people we got told 9.30 was the earliest and same if wanted the Saturday night. We ate the Friday and had the taster menu which consists of 8 dishes to share, it was £50 each plus we spent £36 on a bottle of wine! Sure it wasn't cheap, but we knew that.. Was excellent but oh the Saturday we ate in Cafe Paris...2 burgers and fries plus a beer each was £35 for 2:)

Hope u enjoy we Loved it!

Tracey

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

hi thanks very much for the helpful advice

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

We enjoyed a really nice italian in a restaurant called Pisa and then we also went to Icelandic fish and chips which was nice. Both reasonably priced for Iceland. We're from the UK and the prices in those restaurants were about the same as at home

WEST MIDS
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

Hi, we went to Caruso a couple of times and every meal was very pleasant . We had to wait one evening but they take you to a lovely lounge/drawing room type area so no hardship. We went there both day time and night and weren't disappointed on either occasion. Another restaurant we went to was The Hereford which is primarily a steak house but it does do other food, again a lovely meal but this one was a little more pricey. We were in Reykjavik for 3 days and can honestly say the food was lovely wherever we went, very fresh produce.

9. Re: Where to eat in Reykjavik on a 3 night break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 26, 2015