We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to visit and what to do?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Topic
How long to visit and what to do?

My boyfriend & I plan on taking a trip to Iceland, possibly in September. I have been told by someone that we could snowmobile glaciers at this time...is this true? How far would the drive to do this be from Reykjavik?

Also, how many days should we plan on being there? We enjoy seeing tourist attractions during the day and dinner/bars at night.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

edb
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to visit and what to do?

We were there for 4 full days, and it was not enough time. We are planning on going back next year and will be there a week. The key is how much money you have to spend, dinner and bars at night probably will cost a few hundrend dollars a night per person.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to visit and what to do?

My family and I went for the last 2 weeks in August 2004 and it was absolutely beautiful. We rented a car and drove the countryside (amazing) we snowmobiled on Vatnajokull and sailed on the Glacier lagoon (highly recommend). Also we went caving (a neat experience). I could just go on and on, but if you check out Icelandairs website and the Iceland tourist web boards website you will find that there is so much to do and see while your there. I felt like two weeks was not enough. Have a wonderful time God knows we did.

Veejax64

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to visit and what to do?

I'm going back for trip number four (since 2000) in May, so there is definitely an appeal to Iceland!

You can snowmobile on Vatnajokull at any time the road is accessible (it's 10km of narrow, stony dirt track sort of etched out of the side of the mountains - !!!), and it's worth every penny. Have a look at www.vatnajokulll.com. The company who offer these tours are very professional and very thorough - there is a hut on the glacier that has a cafe and sleeps 20 in the summer. Vatnajokull is in southeastern Iceland, a good day's drive from Reykjavik - there are good lodgings in Hofn, or Guesthouse Smyrlabjorg, very close to the road to the glacier.

Taking a ride on Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon is also swell - the lagoon is full of small icebergs calved from the glacier at Skaftafell. The craft is an amphibious dukw, and you drive right into the lake. Check out www.jokulsarlon.com for more info.

Iceland is very, very expensive. Lodging and food can be kept to a minimum, but even then it's not a real budget destination. There is a great apartment rental place in Reykjavik (Room with a View), so you can self-cater, but if you rent a car, then fuel prices are high (the cheapest was 101ISK per litre as of last May).

Try and book as long as you can - a week will give you a good taste. There's so much to see and do, you'll likely want to go again.

Have a fab trip!