We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

We will be in Reykjavik for one week at the end of the month, and I have a few random questions:

We booked the Best Western, which is about 1.5 km southeast from the harbor. We're not into the late-night bar scene but we want to be in easy walking distance from some sights, fun bars and good restaurants. Is the Best Western a good choice?

I'm looking into the Golden Circle tours which all seem to be about 8-10 hours long. How does that work as it's only daylight for 5 hours? How much time is actually spent in the car?

Is the Blue Lagoon still fun and worth it if you don't take a dip?

We arrive at 6:30 am, what-to-do what-to-do until check-in? I assume we'll bundle up when we arrive at KEF and then venture out and about.

The 3-day city/bus pass is $72, in a city that all seem to say is so walkable is it worth it for other benefits that it provides?

Thank you for any tips and the time you take to help us out!

Here's to getting to see the lights!

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

The Best Western hotel is a little out of the downtown area but more or less all the action is between the hotel and the harbour.

Daylight (including twilight) is ca 9 hours at the end of january so you should have light during the whole time you are on the Golden circle.

The Blue lagoon looks pretty different from everything else but I do not see the point of not going in, it is actually quite nice.

From the KEF airport it is a 45 minute ride into the city, you should not venture out and about until you are in the city, you could fit a visit to the Blue lagoon into that time as it is close to the airport.

Most of the sights are fairly close together but using city buses would make it easy to get around as the city is quite spread out.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Thank you!

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

If you aren't going in the Blue Lagoon, I don't know why you would stop there. It is very nice, but I went in the Lagoon and plan on doing it again on my visit this winter.

I walked everywhere in my visit in the summer. I am planning on walking in Reykjavik on my visit this winter.

england
Level Contributor
254 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

We enjoyed a stop at the blue lagoon. We were there as it was part of the airport transfer on the tour. We did not wish to go into the water as it was cold outside and we are not keen swimmers. We had a lovely lunch in the restaurant and enjoyed looking at the lagoon

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Thanks for the tips. I think we will go, it's already a stop on the way to the hotel. And as we are not keen swimmers either, a lovely lunch with a beautiful view sounds wonderful!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

The blue lagoon isn't really about swimming (IMHO!), its more a relaxation thing, being in the warm waters and finding a temperature spot that suits and just chilling. We spent a fair bit of time sat back in a quiet corner with mud packs on and not feeling the outside coldness, which is an interesting experience when the lifeguard is feet away in all his thermals! I'm sure you'll appreciate the surroundings and have a nice lunch anyway but do think about packing your costumes just in case (you can also rent everything when you get there).

Re time spent on the bus on golden circle tours, we've done them twice and it was fine, you get to spend a fair amount of time walking around at the sights. The company we used (bustravel.is) used smaller mini buses so it was a nice group size with everyone being back on time at stops so everything flowed nicely plus there were a couple of extra stops in addition to the 3 main sites which broke the journey up. Another benefit of a tour is the guides commentary while on the bus which gives an extra insight.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Thanks dennis-n-minnie, we're looking forward to all of it!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

You're very welcome, hope you have a fab time. . . and fingers crossed for the Lights!

isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Did you book your tours before you went, is it cheaper that way. Did you find cheap places to eat. Where did you buy your krona from. Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

We are going next week. We decided to wait until we arrive to book our tours based upon recommendations from the hotel and weather predictions. It seems that only a small amount of cash is necessary so we will change at KEF. I know we'll have fun in lovely Reykjavik, and here's to the Lights!