We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Hi,

I've heard a few tantalising mentions of a Christmas village near Reykjavik but I haven't been able to find much information about what it is or how to get there?

Anyone been and can give me more of an idea what goes on here? I'm looking out for some festive things to do and visit next month.

Cheers everyone (sorry if I'm just being dim and overlooking something obvious)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Hi Wanderlust :)

The little Christmas Village in Hafnarfjörður is wonderful :) If you take Bus nr 1 from downtown Reykjavík - you have to go out in FJÖRÐUR and you are basically there - the christmas village is in 30 sec. walking distance from Fjörður bus stating. The bus write should take about 35 minutes or so - if you take a taxi from downtown Reykjavík it takes about 15 minutes.

Please notice it is only open during the weekends before Christmast :)

This is their facebook page https:/…

There are little wooden houses decorated - and people selling handmate crafts, chrismas things and all kind of cute'ness :) I go every year and really enjoy it. There is also a stage with people performing on, a big Christmast tree and just the typical Christmas spirit in the air. Have fun!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

We will be in Reykjavik on Nov. 24. Will the Christmas Market be open then? If not, would it be worthwhile to take a bus to visit the town anyway?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

cind.... This question was answered for you a few day ago, scroll to page 2. It is open the 'last weekend' in Nov, according to "Visit Hafnafjordur' web site.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Thanks very much- can't wait :)

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

One more question- Where do we catch the bus from?!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Wanderlust I won't bother with the Xmas market! We did it on Saturday and there really is nothing much there. A few tiny little stalls. It's nothing like the Xmas markets at home or mainland Europe. Reyjkavik is such a great city that you'd be much better spending your time there. All in by the time we waited for the bus both ways as well as the journey it took up a good 3hrs....... 10 min f which was literally at mkt!

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Thanks for your input Langsidegirl- that's really interesting.

Did you find anything going on in Reykjavik that was similar?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Hi Wanderlust -

http://christmas.visitreykjavik.is/?p=757

Check the first one out - it's located in the heart of Reykjavik.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

I second LangsidegirlGlasgow's comment about the Market. We went there last week just before closing and were disappointed with how tiny it was. Hardly worth driving there let alone waiting for the bus! I would say the southbank or even Kingston Xmas market is more worth visiting.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village?

Places like this are normally tiny in Iceland - We only have 320.000 habitants in the whole country, so I get it is understandable :). I go there every year, and I enjoy it at least.