We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear, Food & Finding your way around

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear, Food & Finding your way around

Sorry for a multitude of questions, but I always feeling guilty of spamming if I ask everything separately. My first question is around appropriate footwear/clothing, I've heard the pavements are geothermically heated so as not to be icey - is this true? If so will I be ok wearing trainers (i'm from Manchester and have been monitoring Reykjavik weather, it seems both cities share an attraction for rain) ? also I suppose this applies to clothing, will I be ok just layering up with clothes (have been to Denmark & Sweden in Feb where canals were frozen solid and managed ok) - as to be honest I don't want to be spending cash on ski jackets etc if I can avoid it. We're also going mostly for Airwaves festival so will assume that we wont be spending massive amounts of time outside.

Second question is around shopping: we've rented an apartment on Einholt, where is good (cheap) for food eg supermarket type place?

third question is around getting around Reykjavik, taking into consideration we're there 'mostly' for the festival, is it safe to assume we can get around most places on foot? (we're both fit people so walking around a city for several hours is no problem) - and is it safe late at night to walk around?

Hmmm what else? what would be a good price for a 1 day car rental from Reykjavik? (not sure if I want to drive whilst on holiday but undecided), I am hesitant about booking in advance due to sometimes local staff work on commission and apply 'extra charges' which works out more expensive in the end..

Oh my final question is around the washing for the swimming, I know you have to wash nude for hygiene reasons, but is this like an open public shower or would it still be in the confines of the 'changing area' ?

1. Re: Footwear, Food & Finding your way around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 08, 2014