We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for day excursions?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for day excursions?

Hi Everyone!

We're off to Iceland next week, staying in the centre of Reykjavik.

Have a few small questions since it's our first visit.

First off, any suggestions/ recommendations of excursions/day trips/ tour companies?

We're only going for 3nights, should we take any cash? I've read on here previously that there's no need to take any money, but this doesn't feel right...!?

And finally- what should we do/see/eat etc while we're there to make the most of our trip?

Thanks in advance for your replies- they are truly appreciated, it's lovely getting advise from people that ave already been there/live there! :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for day excursions?

Hi Catherine! :)

Suggestions for excursions: The Golden Circle+ snowmobiles on Langjokull glacier, Jokulsarlon- Glacial Lagoon and Reykjanes + Blue Lagoon.

I can reccommend the tour company Extreme Iceland :)

You will not need cash since you can always (99% of the time) pay with credit cards.... Just in case you can take some if it makes you feel better.

You should definitely see Hallgrimskirkja - go up to the tower and see the beautiful view over Reykjavík city. Like I said before the Blue Lagoon is a must and the Laugavegur shopping/walking street is great for cafes, stores and even partying!

There are soooo many restaurants, it's really depending on what you are looking for... The Fismarket is super, also Vegamót and of course the most famous hot dog stand in the world BAEJARINS BEZTU :)

Have a great holiday - Im sure you will! The autumn colors are all around, the Northern Lights have started there dance on their sky and the bonus thing is that it's not that cold yet! :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for day excursions?

Hi there Catherine!

Me, I'd take cash, at least some. Electronic stuff can sometimes not work, for whatever technical reasons, and then it's nice to be able to pull some banknotes. Also, you should check with your bank how much it costs you to use your credit card in Iceland. Very likely it's going to be cheaper to convert some money.

The 'basics' of Iceland are the Golden Circle (with the Gullfoss Falls, the geyser Strokkur, and the National Park Thingvellir), and also the glacial lagoon Jökulsárlón, but you really need two days for this awesome tour. The geothermal spa The Blue Lagoon is very near to the international airport, and a very successful 'tourist trap' that most people are crazy about, and some say it's overrated. It's not cheap, at least :)

Enjoy Iceland!

3. Re: Suggestions for day excursions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 04, 2014