We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

Due to lack of time & budget for my upcoming visit, we only have 1 night in which I can treat my husband to his "birthday meal" plus it also has to be before we are picked up to go search for the northern lights!!

Reading all the TA reviews, Fridrik (no1 ranked) is closed sun and mon( 2 Eve's we are there!)

So I was looking at doing a tasting menu at either grillmarkadurinn or fishmarkadurinn.

For a man that loves his meat & steak but also really really enjoys fish.... Which one should I go for??? Reviews for both are excellent.

Also... What is dress code for eating out? Does it need to be smart? As we are only there 2 days I was only going to bring walking boots and jeans as have limited hand luggage?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Thank you

Raleigh
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

We ate at the grillmarket a few weeks ago and loved it. I wore nice jeans and a sweater and didn't feel out of place at all. I wouldn't stress too much about dressing up as Icelanders are used to folks dressing for all types of weather. Can't comment on the other restaurant you mentioned.

Haxey
Level Contributor
70 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

We eat at the fishmarket last week and it was excellent. Smart casual will suit any restaurant in Iceland.

Enjoy your trip.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

I really loved Fishmarket! Everything my friend and I tried was really yummy! You won't be disappointed!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
488 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

Hi,

The Fishmarket and the Grillmarket are owned by the same people. They are both excellent restaurants but emphasize on either fish or meat though you can have both at both places.

It is actually hard to recommend any restaurant over another because most restaurants in Reykjavik are quite good!

Kind regards,

Gunnsi Guide

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

Thank you for your replies. I have decided to go with the grillmarket as I think this will be more hubby's liking. I didn't realise they were owned by the same people.

I booked it earlier this eve, am glad I did as for the Sunday evening there was no table available to book after 6.30pm!!! Popular place

:-)

I can't wait now!

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

Thank you for your replies. I have decided to go with the grillmarket as I think this will be more hubby's liking. I didn't realise they were owned by the same people.

I booked it earlier this eve, am glad I did as for the Sunday evening there was no table available to book after 6.30pm!!! Popular place

:-)

I can't wait now!

7. Re: Which restaurant - grillmarket or fishmarket? & dress code?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 19, 2014