We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2014 visit

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Feb 2014 visit

We are booked to stay in Reykjavik for 4 nights in late Feb 2014, got accommodation, flights and transfers all sorted, and I'm now looking at booking some day tours for our stay. I'm already very excited (despite having 5 months to wait!), and I have a few questions you lovely people could possibly help out with:

1. Is it best to book a Northern Lights tour in advance, or wait until we're there when we can make a decision based on the weather at the time? I know most companies offer a second tour for free if you don't see anything, but I don't want to spend the money in advance if it turns out the weather is not suitable during our stay (I guess I've answered my own question there really!).

2. With the huge number of tour companies out there, which ones in your opinion offer the best value for money?

3. I know it will be very cold in Feb, but I have never been to a place which gets that cold before - any recommendations for types of clothing I should bring? I already have good waterproofs and walking boots, but not sure about layers.

Many thanks!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Hi Gemma :)

Nice to hear that you are coming to Iceland next February - I really hope the weather will be good so you will be lucky to see those gorgeous Northern Lights!

1. I see what you mean there. I would always reccomend to book it before, just to have everything organized and paid for. Also you don't have to waist time in Iceland for going to the tour agencies and have it planned. But if you feel better about doing it in Iceland, you can for sure do that :).

2. I would reccomend you to check on Extreme Iceland, they have all kinds of tours on all kind of prices and can help you plan your itinerery - very helpful answering your questions!

3. Like you say it can be very cold in February! The thing is the weather here changes so rapidly so it is difficult to say which kind of clothes you need. It's great to hear that you have those waterproof boots - they are very helpful!

I would reccomend to pack with you: Rainproof thick jacket, if you only have a thin one just pack good sweaters with you - best is wool or fleece, rainproof pant also if you have them - and again wool or fleece under is best.

Hat, scarf and gloves also.... But remember - the weather here is so weird, sometimes you only need a normal jacket and a hat in February! :) But better safe then sorry of course!

Hope this helps you plan your tour to Iceland!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Hi,

We are also planning for a trip to Iceland in the later part of Feb 2014 and are considering the following package from Extreme Iceland for 8d/7n:

extremeiceland.is/en/longer-winter-tours/nor…

We went through a few tours and found this to be more comprehensive with Northern Lights hunt. The above tour covers mainly the Southern part in Iceland and we were wondering whether to extend our stay to travel to Northern Iceland (Akureyri, Lake Myvatn, etc). However, we were told that these places might not be accessible due to the snow.

Is it worth it to extend our trip to cover Akureyi and Lake Myvatn? This probably means that we need to catch a flight from Reykjavik to Akureyi?

What are the other places that we could potentially visit if we were to extend our stay in Iceland?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Gemma there are many tour operators who would be able to help in this type of planning. I am going to thro up a couple of others.

I know and can personally recommend these people www.tour.is I have used their services 4 times now. Also these people www.icelandguide.is This company has many qualified guides to choose from. Using their on-line profiles one can look at the guides specialities, and experience, and make a choice as to which one may suit personal needs, and which profile is thought to be the 'best fit' Many show a photo of the guides.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Hi Gemma

Far best to book the tours for the Northern Lights before you arrive to Iceland ... and best to have two or three day tours where you accommodate out on the countryside or even up in the highland. Best to have tours where the hunt for the northern lights is just a part of the tour. You get most for your money in the two and three day tours. Which tour operator is not important, much more important which tour you have. Take with you good winter hiking boots, warm clothing, layers, thermal underwear, something rainproof and something windproof, thick socks, hats and gloves.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Respectfully Thorkell H, and please excuse me, I would not usually attempt to contradict local knowledge, but I think which Tour Operator is important, as is and also which tour to choose, particularly if one does not have local knowledge..

I do agree with you however, that it is best to choose a direction to travel, and be in the right place, and hopefully at the right time For some of us, the Northern Lights may be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and obviously we need to make the most of that one opportunity

Hamar, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb 2014 visit

Hello

here is the wether for Reykjavik first in february. I live in Norway and I am planning a trip there too. As you can see it is not that Cold, but Wind. You should bring a warm coat for Snowy wether... (my English is not very good...) and a cap for Your head :) You have to bye an typical Island swether in Wool wile you ar there -- very Nice and warm.

good Luck

7. Re: Feb 2014 visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 03, 2015