We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

I have contacted multiple travel companies, but none of them offer multi-day tours from Reykjavik in late December? Would there be any specific reason for this? I do not want to self drive & still go to Vik & the other places on the South coast. Any help is greatly appreciated!

GeoIceland Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Iceland Horizon
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Back to Iceland travel
Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Time Tours
Bus Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Hi arorareshma!

What sort of multi-day tour are you thinking of?

December is mid-winter in Iceland with unpredictable weather. Some companies limit their "down-time" risk of tours by offering only guaranteed tour options like the the Golden Circle, Reykjanes Peninsula and Northern Lights from Reykjavik. They therefor do not publicly offer multi-day tours... but if you want to buy from them a private multi-day tour (more expensive and the itinerary is not as holy) they might want to do business.

You would have to contact the tour operators who operate 4x4 SUVs or even SuperJepps if you want something other than the main highway sights but seldom are the conditions so bad that the highways are off limit to regular cars. So it's really a matter of what kind of tour you are thinking of.

Tell me what you want and I'll try and point you where to look.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

I am visiting mainly for the Northern lights. Saw some good trips being offered in Nov and Jan that talk about the Northern Light Academy and offer 6-7 day trips covering southwest Iceland with the hunt for northern lights every night! Really liked the idea of staying in the countryside cottages.

So was curious as to why no such trips in Dec.

Private tours would be over my budget unfortunately. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

There is possibly little demand at this time of the year. The days are short so much shorter times for sightseeing and many tourists are preparing for Christmas so don't travel at this time of the year. This could be why there are no tours.

Just remember there is no guarantee you ill see the NL's, go to Iceland because you want to see Iceland and enjoy the wonderful country. That way you won't be disappointed if you don't see them.

Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Actually December is the second high-peak of tourism in Iceland,but the reason for the gap in tours might be explained by small business owners getting ready for xmas. But cottages in the country sound like an excellent plan, a rental would be needed... unless the keepers offer tours of their own. I will have to place my bet on the rental car though.

Sorry about the vague advice, I'll give you an update if I hear something through the grapevine.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Sure. Thank you. Ill post here if I get to know anything more too.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Yes ... a few multi day trips from Reykjavik in late December ... scheduled, guided tours ... the most popular ones are most likely the 2 days tour for the South Coast and to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon (every Monday-Tuesday and Friday-Saturday) and the scheduled three days tour to Landmannalaugar (every Friday-Saturday-Sunday) and the 2 days tour for Snaefellsnes (every Wednesday-Thursday).

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

Thanks Thorkell. Would you know any operaters that provide these tours.

8. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, September 11, 2013
9. Re: No multi day trips from Reykjavik in late Decmeber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 28, 2014