We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Money

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Money

Hi!! Is it advisable to exchange money prior to our trip?? Can we pay with most things using our credit card? (much easier of course..) Any advice would be great. We are just starting to pack this weekend... CAn't wait!!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Money

No, not advised !

Change your money here, in Iceland, you get the best rate here.

Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Money

One thing that you shouldn't do is change your money at the airport in Iceland, not even at the bank, Landsbanki. Believe it or not, the rates are higher! It's such a shame to have different exchange rates, only because it's at the airport. Of course, they don't "take commission"!

malaysia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Money

May I know where is the best place to change ISK ? Do they except Malaysia Ringgit ???

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Money

You change currency in banks. They´re open on weekdays, 09:00 - 16:00

I don´t know about that currency, but here is the rate: http://www.landsbankinn.com/ NOTE, the rate is updated every day, and you should use ,,NOTE" rate.

malaysia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Money

Sorry got confused, Diana...suggested not to change in the bank. Can you help me with more info - Other than bank where can get good rates?

Thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Money

She was talking about one specified branch, in the airport. The difference is 1% commission there but not in other banks. Banks are the only place to change money.

You can check the rates in other banks, the difference could be 0,1%

gijon
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Money

We are arriving in Reikiavik airport at 23:00 and leaving to Landmannalaugar the next day 8:00. So our only chance is changing some mney at the airport. Any chance to do it that late? Thanks!

malaysia
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Money

Thanks Icelandisguide for the information.

Edited: 5:53 am, July 22, 2013
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing Money

Annmalaysia, why are you bringing cash? You will get a much better rate if you withdraw cash from an ATM with a debit card. And much more secure than carrying large amounts of cash.

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing Money

Would U.S. dollars be acceptable for things like tips? I'm thinking we don't need to change much money as credit cards are accepted widely, I understand. Maybe none?