We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week in Reykjavik?

DGM
Brooklyn, NY
3 posts
Save Topic
A Week in Reykjavik?

I am traveling to Iceland in early Septemeber for 6 days/5 nights. I definitely want to spend a good deal of that time in an around Reykjavik but would also like to try and make it to Skaftafell National Park and do some hiking in the southeast of the country. Would it be possible to do this while being based in Reykjavik and taking daytrips or would we be better off venturing off for 2 or 3 days and spending the night in the southeast? Does anyone know if thes area is easily accessible by public transportation or would we be better off driving?

California, USA...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

My recommendation would be to spend the night in Hotel Klaustur at Kirkjubaejarklaustur if you need a base to explore Skaftafell National Park. A day trip from Reykjavik is possible but it would not make for a relaxing day.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

There's a bus service round the main highway (route 1) which would take you to Skaftafell, but for flexibility you'd be better with a car. (Tourist web sites will give you details).

2 or 3 days in the south would be good. Its too far for a day trip with hiking. There is a hotel at Skaftafell which has a glacier a few hundred yards from it.

A car would also make it easier to go to places like Jokulsjarlon and Blue Lagoon. Both are worth visiting. Jokulsjarlon is near Skaftafell. BL is near the main airport.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

I think it will be VERY hard to do this while based in Reykjavik. We drove from Reykjavik to Gulfoss/Geysir, and that was about as far as I would want to drive for a day trip. I would recommend getting a car though and avoiding the buses. Iceland is a blast to explore. But as i said, if you plan to go to the southeast part of the island, I would get accomodation there.

Good luck and have a great trip.

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

Good info to know! We're considering a trip to Iceland in early September too (over Labor Day) -- we'll only have a little over 4 days there if we do go. Sounds like we'd need to book more than one hotel/guest house in order to get a good sampling of Iceland without spending most of our time driving.

By the way, what types of animals are indigenous to Iceland? Any snakes or dangerous animals we should be aware of if we venture out on our own? I'm assuming Iceland is a pretty safe place crime-wise, yes?

California, USA...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

fuzzlekins,

Reptiles are not to be found on Iceland. Didn't have time to evolve - the island is a baby on the geological time scale.

I recommend that you purchase the Iceland volume of the Insight Guides (http://www.insightguides.com) - it is superbly written. Also the Lonely Planet Guide. These should give you a very good background (and lots of suggestions on housing, tour operators etc etc).

6. Re: A Week in Reykjavik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 14, 2009