We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending on credit card in Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spending on credit card in Iceland

Hi, I'll be visiting Iceland this weekend and have 2 good credit cards for spending abroad. Is it right that you can do a trip to Iceland and spend entirely using plastic?

I'll be staying in Reykjavik, visting the Blue Lagoon and doing the Golden circle tour. My spending will be on meals in restaurants, drinks in bars, bus fares etc.

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending on credit card in Iceland

Based on my experience of approximately 5 yrs and 10 yrs ago this is correct, but I had problems at the airport with ALL of my VIsa cards. In my case, I've charged MC for that particular purchase, which worked fine. Both MC and Visa worked the rest of the trip. Bottom line: have a back-up plan.

For cash I've used ATMs w/o any problems.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending on credit card in Iceland

I have no idea what Icelandic Kroner looks like as I have never seen any - despite recently returning from my second visit in 11 months!

I use the Halifax credit card, it makes NO charges for foriegn purchases and uses the international exchange rate with no commission.

Being my second visit, I specifically looked for places that I could not use my card and the only one I found was a parking meter! Even the coffee machine at tourist centres takes a credit card.

So my advice is to take some sterling for peace of mind but use a card for everything. (If you buy currency you will lose out big time as there will be a charge/commission both for buying and selling back what you don't use).

3. Re: Spending on credit card in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 27, 2014