We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day stopover, need advice

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
48 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
2 Day stopover, need advice

We are planning a 2 day stopover in Iceland from the U.S. on the way to Europe. We've never been to Iceland before but we're excited about seeing the countryside as much as possible (more interested in the scenery and geology than the city) in our short amount of time. I've been reading some positive comments about Golden Circle day tours from places such as Iceland Horizon and Iceland Guided Tours. I have a few questions:

1) Would we be better off renting a car and doing our own thing, or relying on public transportation and guided tours? I know this is a matter of opinion -- just wanted to hear what the opinions are.

2) If we stay in Reykjavik, will we have any problems making our 7:30 AM flight out using public transportation? Or would it make more sense to stay closer to the airport? I've been looking at the Flybus website and they claim to have a bus for every flight out.

3) Does anyone have any recommendations for our first day? We arrive at 6:30 AM (obviously very jet-lagged but eager to see the country).

Thank you for any advice!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day stopover, need advice

1. I would certainly rent a car for such short period. You can just do so much more, than spend time waiting for transport.

2. There is no problem with public transport, it just takes areound 45 minutes. You can see it here: http://www.airportexpress.is/Default.aspx and here: https://www.flybus.is/flybus

3. I love the Reykjanes peninsular, starting of there and taking the new south shore road passing the blue lagoon is one idea :)

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day stopover, need advice

I would rent a car & do the above on Day 1, taking a couple of hours at the Blue Lagoon which is amazing. Day 2 could then be used for the Golden Circle. This would give you a good taster of Iceland.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day stopover, need advice

Just thought about this some more.....

You could do the Golden Circle on Day 1 & Reykjanes peninsula/Blue Lagoon day 2. You could then stay at the Northern Lights Inn which I would highly recommend - cosy lounge areas with honesty bar, fireplace & comfy sofas, fantastic food, wonderful staff, great outside area & right next to the Blue Lagoon so a lot closer to the Airport for your early flight. It is a bit more driving on Day 1 but a lot easier day 2 & I really wish we had spent more than one night there.

Just my opinion...

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Day stopover, need advice

I was in a similar situation in March. 2 days stopover, early flight in and out. Wanted to do as much as possible. Since I don't like to drive, I used Solstice Tours for my tours. You can see my review for more info, but I highly recommend their services. On day 1 we did the Golden circle and peninsula, day 2 the south coast and glacier walk.

I stayed at Centerhotel plaza so I could walk around the city. To get back to the airport we reserved an early bus (5:30am) from Airport Express. No problems getting there, no big lines to worry about for check in or security.

5. Re: 2 Day stopover, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 10, 2014