We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern lights

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
1 post
Save Topic
northern lights

Hiya, I can travel to Reykjavik from 21st march to 15th April 2013, with the exception of 4/5/6 April. As there is a full moon on 27th March, when would you say would be best dates to see the Northern lights, kind regards for your help.

Rebeccah

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern lights

The most accurate answer: Whenever there is a gap in the clouds!!!

Another, somewhat misleading answer: As far away from full moon as possible.

If we sum up the reasons for those two options. You want to avoid any light pollution as much as possible (like from full moon, towns and cities), but you absolutely need clear skies or at least gaps in the clouds.

Even with full moon you can see a great northern lights display if the aurora activity is high.

This is the most accurate reply I can give you. If seeing the northern lights is a high priority for you then I would start looking for them from the first night you arrive here.

Boston
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern lights

If you search the term "Aurora Forecast Iceland" on Google you'll see a number of sites that track both weather and 'auroral activity."

Sadly, I'm arriving there Sunday morning and neither of those factors look promising. Bummer! Here's hoping you will have better prospects.

Level Contributor
159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northern lights

hope you made it out on sunday, andylipp fm boston! spectacular viewing from Hvalfjiord area, beat Saturday, 3/9 at Thingvellir, and we thought that was good!

did not make it out monday night...no starry night, as we had sat. & sunday. was there any activity last night? will try again tonight, tues, 3/12. IcelandExperts: how's it looking for tonight? and how would you rate activity level this past weekend? just curious to know...again, we were enthralled by what we saw, esp. sunday night, and plan to go out again. any other recommended good viewing places? we have car and drive out of reykjavik on our own.

appreciate any/all recommendations and feedback - thanks!

4. Re: northern lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 14, 2014