We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Break in Iceland

Essex
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Break in Iceland

Hi All,

I am looking to book a trip to Iceland in November for my boyfriends birthday. I have heard a lot of good things from friends that have recently been so very excited to get this sorted. A few questions if you don't mind...

I'm from England. Who would you recommend I book this trip with? Initial research would suggest Icelandair although you can only book up to April 2013 on their website. Any other suggested companies or are Icelandair likely to update their website soon?

Should I book the whole package (flights, hotel and excursions/tours) together or perhaps book everything seperatly?

I am keen to do as many tours as possible:

Reykjavik Sight Seeing

Whale watching

Blue lagoon

Snowmobiles

Glacier Trek

Northern Lights

Horse Riding

Any other tour suggestions?

How many nights would be suitable to accomodate all of these trips?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jenna

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Elding Adventure at Sea
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
Reykjavik Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Reykjavik - Special Tours
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Iceland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Break in Iceland

You can find scheduled tours for all those activities and maybe best to book everything at the same travel agency ... then you should get discount for booking so many tours at one place.

You can do The Golden Circle and Snowmobiling in one day ... then South Coast, Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon with glacier hiking and northern lights in 2 days tour. Then maybe lava tube caving and The blue lagoon in one day and then you have spend 4 days ... and then horse back riding and Reykjavik and day 5 and you will have good time in Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Break in Iceland

Hi Jenna

I don't understand why Icelandair only have packages up to April, although you can get flights and hotel separately through them still. It's weird. A much cheaper alternative is to take Easyjet out of Luton and book a accommodation directly with the hotel.

As for trips, you are spoilt for choice. You could book them when you arrive. Most hotels will help you with this. Think about hiring a car maybe.

Iceland is wonderful, you will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Essex
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Break in Iceland

Thank you - very much appreciated.

Considering we have a lot to pack in, how many nights would be recommended? Thanks

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Break in Iceland

Different packages are valid for different dates I can see Iceland Airwaves in October 2013, for instance - have another look! www.icelandair.co.uk/offers-and-bookings/

Essex
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Break in Iceland

Thanks. I did see Airwaves package but it isn't clear what that is!?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,584 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Break in Iceland

I think Icelandair offer the packages in winter to fill up planes. In the summer the loadings are high so no need to offer cheap packages.

In winter I have always used Icelandair to book a package but in summer we usually book ourselves or we have used Discover the World as they have got us some good prices.

London, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Break in Iceland

our son is mad about whales and we want to take him whale watching in iceland and would like to kknow when is the best time of year to see whales, any recommended whale boat tours and where to stay - town/hotel. Thanks very much

North Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Break in Iceland

xJennax - Airwaves is a music festival. The package with Icelandair is your flight and wristband to the 5 day event. So not really what you are looking for.

I usually just buy the flight from Icelandair then get my accommodation seperate, then book tours once I arrive.

Sarah S - Summertime would be the best time for whale sighting. Elding is one company that does this, they keep a day to day diary of what they see when they go out to sea, you can see here;- www.elding.is

There are quite a few others that also offer tours, although cant remember off the top of my head.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Break in Iceland

Hi

My husband and I have just returned from an amazing four day stay in Reykjavik. We researched and booked everything ourselves at a fraction of the cost of a tour operator.

We flew Easy Jet and stayed at a central hotel. Details were found on here which helped us make informed choices. Airport transfers were booked online too. We booked all the tours through Iceland Guided Tours - again recommended on here and we were more than happy. You can book here in the UK on their website but you do not pay until you have the trip. If you take a look on their website, they do offer many trips.

Blue Lagoon is nearer the airport than Reykjavik so it is most common to call here on either route to the airport. South Coast/Golden Circle are each a full day. Fantastic and certainly worth doing. Glacier Trek can be combined with the South Coast tour.

The Icelandic horses are wonderful and if you search on this site "Things to Do" then horseriding comes up as the first option. You can find details of how to book.

I would book independently every time. We paid around a third of the cost of an inclusive package tour and got exactly what we had hoped.

Good luck and you will love Iceland I'm sure. Our trip was amazing and can't wait to go back - independently of course!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland Guided Tours
Iceland Guided Tours
923 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Break in Iceland

Iceland is wonderfull, it is not cheap, We travelled with Voyage Jules Verne a week or so ago and were quite satisfied. Their parties are between 6 and 25 people. Their couriers will try to shoehorn in as much as they can. There is a risk of not getting the best out of your planned trip. Have a look at the Insight guide for Iceland at page 105. If that fails to impress then there is no hope for you!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe